Cleaning Day

131_web

Today was cleaning day at our house. I watched a BBC TV show this morning called Houses Behaving Badly and after seeing the grimy house which they cleaned I went into a frenzy and brought all the beddings and the sofa cushions outside, airied them out and washed all the covers.

130_web

On the show they say you should change your sheets every week. I have to admit I don’t so after hearing about the dust mites I figured I’d air the mattresses too… Wille’s is small enough for the deck chair.

132_web

Our double one stayed inside, window wide open, vacuumed and aired by lifting the middle up to let the air circulate underneath. I promised myself I’ll bring it outside too one of these days.

129_web

My livingoom slip covers are cotton. The one on the sofa actually says dry clean only but I toss them in the washing mashine all the time anyway. A good idea is to get two sets. I did that so when one set is dirty and I don’t have time to wash it right away the other one can be used. Another thing if possible is to have reversible cushions. If one of my cushions gets dirty and the rest of the sofa is still ok I can just flip that cushion. A great way of getting the covers on is to put them on while they’re still damp. Mine are quite a wrestle to put on when I switch from one set to the other.

Some of you have asked how I keep my sofa and armchairs so white but if you look closely enough when they are not newly laundered you will see that after a while they are not 100% white… If I get a small stain on them, like a fleck of chocolate I spot clean, take a dampened micro fiber rag and rub the stain  and then rinse with a bit of water. If my cats walk all over with dirty paws, which they do all the time, I wait until the paw prints have dried. That way I don’t spread the wet dirt out and into the fabric, but it can usually be brushed off.

Once a week I vacuum the sofa and armchairs and do a bit of boxing on the cushions to fluff them. I’d say I wash the sofa covers about every two or three months or so and the armchair ones about every month/six weeks as the cushions seat cushions on them are not reversible.

133_web

I finished my cleaning frenzy off by vaccuming the upstairs floors and mopping them with a damp rag with cleaning solution and white vinegar. I’m still not done for today though because now I need to make the beds and put the covers back on. Might change the colorscheme around a little now that everything is clean and the pillow covers are off.  I recently bought some new fabrics on Etsy so I might sew a few covers tomorrow in between painting windows. We’ll see.

• Barb says:

You are so inspiring. Maybe I’ll take your lead and do some cleaning this weekend.
    I am interested in the item next to your stool in the picture. Is that a little house for your cat(s)? I love it. Is it shaped like a cat head? Can you remember where you got it?

• Benita says:

Barb, the kitty bed is from Whiskas! I got it on Ebay after seeing one in somebody else’s home in a magazine. Try do a “cat bed whiskas” search. We’ve had it about two years now and it’s only quite recently that Mini and Bonus have starting to use it. It used to be empty, but all us humans love the look of it so it has stayed 🙂

• Anna @ D16 says:

I am fastidious about vacuuming the upholstered furniture and the mattress! I love using the the special attachment and taking all of the cushions off. It feels so good!
    We have a show in the US called “Clean House”, and it always makes me want to immediately go and scrub every surface from top to bottom (and throw away 75% of my possessions!). The people on the show are always SO messy and dirty and disorganized and have a ton of junk lying around — it’s maddening!

• I wanted to let you know that I love your blog, your home is beautiful and I’m curious as to where you found your adorable cat box.
    Thanks so much for all the great iformation and beautiful photos!

• Kristy says:

Your mattresses are so much thinner than ours.I would have a hernia trying to get mine off the bed! It takes my super human strength to flip them over every now and then!
    I love it when we are in France and see the duvets etc hanging over balconies and having a good airing.
    Love the kitty bed too.

• kirstie says:

I think the best UK cleaning show is “Anthea Turner, Perfect Housewife”, although to be honest I think she could take a few tips from you. I am not sure about the “Houses Behaving Badly” show. They advised a woman expecting a baby to get one of those dirty disposable nappy storers – who wants one of those in the house – what’s wrong with emptying the bin regularly? (Or using reusables…).

• April in CT says:

I think we have the same mop! It’s so handy for cleaning the floors, walls and ceilings. This post really makes me want to find a place for an outdoor clothes line and start airing things out around the house. We haven’t lived here long so I’m still feeling my way around for the most organized way to do things.
    Beautiful pictures! 🙂

• cecilia says:

Hej, jag är en ganska ny läsare av din blog och tycker verkligen om att titta in här ibland! Jag undrar var du har köpt det coola katthuvuvdet? Ser ut att vara ett bra krypin för en katt! 🙂
    Cecilia

• Cindy says:

I get the same way every time I see a show like that!! The best is when they do the swab tests to see what sort of stuff is in their homes and it really makes you sick that people can live in such filth. Even the bf can’t take his eyes off the tv when HGTV has those shows!!!

• jenny says:

Slipcovers are another great tip for the new house couple (I can’t remember if you put that in that post).

• Kicki says:

Since you write in english I’ll just pass out my question and admiration to you in english as well!
    Since we live in an almost identical house I would like to know where you keep all your “nick-nacks”, vases and things like that, that you don’t expose for the moment being?
    I must say your blog is my favourite! Every day I take a peek to see what you’ve been up to.You inspire me!
    Söker ni dekoratör eller samordnare påditt jobb?
    /Kicki

• Christine says:

You are so inspiring! I am moving into a new home in 2 weeks, and your blog is the inspiration for the new place. Everything is going to be clean & beautiful – just like your home- except with lots of colors, because I like color with white accents instead of white with color accents. This post has me thinking about the cute clothesline in my new back yard. Can’t wait to hang some linens on it!

• Ksenia says:

How clever that you DIY-ed the bed skirt! Great idea! I really look forward to my Chez Larsson fix 😉

• Eva says:

Här är en till som undrar över kattkorgen. Superfin! Var kommer den ifrån?
    Ganska ny läsare, och tycker du har en helt underbar blogg!

• rachel says:

Thought you might like this one: An old upholsterer gave us this handy tip, and it really works: if you get a mark on your light-coloured furnishing fabrics, try rubbing it with a baby wipe – the very cheap generic ones work fine, and cost very little.

• Benita says:

Thank you all so much for your comments 🙂
    Smalltowngirl, Cecilia and Eva, the kitty bed is from Whiskas. I got it on Ebay after seeing one in somebody else’s home in a magazine. Try do a “cat bed whiskas” search.
    Kicki, I’ll show you my nick nack cabinet soon 🙂
    Rachel, I love that tip. Will try it on the next mark which will occurr soon I’m sure!

• Tamara says:

I second Kristy, American mattresses are unreasonably ginormous, with huge springs(I shudder to imagine what goes on inside them that can never be cleaned out!). Is this the standard mattress in Sweden, or do these have a certain name and/or brand? I like the simplicity and lightness a lot.
    Thanks for this Blog!

• Tamara, our mattresses are all from IKEA. I can see on their site that the US mattresses are different to the Swedish ones. Ours are like thick padded box springs and then we add an overlay mattress on top which can be as thin as 1/2″ or as thick as the one we use which is 2″.