Hiding cables

008_12_2

Like I said yesterday I like finishing things off and mentioned the hiding of the cables. They don’t really disappear, I’m no magician, but I try to make them as invisible as I can.

009_12_2

I used to use cable clips a lot. A lot meaning I didn’t just use a couple on a cable but would hammer one in every 10 cm (4") or so to make sure there was no drooping. I recently discovered this cable tape. It comes with a nifty tool which you use to press the cable onto the tape after you’ve pre taped where you want the cable to run. By the way, I’m not left handed, it’s just I have to hold the camera with my right hand 🙂

010_12_2

I discovered the tape while working on the boat and rewiring everything. The cables in the boat used to be white against the oak and drooping and now they are oak colored (did you know there are oak colored cables?!) and you can hardly see them. Oh, for some reason in the photo above the cable looks crooked. I assure you it’s perfectly straight irl!

001_12

I usually anchor the top of the cable with a clip, especially if there is a heavy plug that needs to unplugged sometimes like on the vacuum cleaner. And please! Can somebody explain to me why the wire on it is black??? I hate that kind of inconsistency! If there are any appliance designers out there, if you take the trouble to produce a silvery white gadget, pleeeeeeeaaaaase match the cable. Thank you! The fat white cable was attached by our electrician. Hmmm. I would have done it differently…

Ooooh! I just realised a couple of minutes ago that the blog break I was about to take while Wille and I are in NYC Friday through Monday will not happen 🙂 We can use his Iphone! The posts will be short and sweet, but we’ll keep in touch and let you know what we’re up too!

• Victoria says:

Jamen visst är det så – svarta sladdar är en styggelse!!! Jag hatar det och jag kan inte heller förstå varför man gör sig besväret med att designa en snygg vit eller silvrig sak och så är det precis som att lusten tar slut när det kommer till sladden! Otroligt!

• anne says:

Åh, vad jag vill ha den där tejpen och göra om alla mina inbankade sladdar (och de som inte blivit fastsatta efter flytten ännu…) Var oh var, hittar man den?

• anne says:

Hittade den! Misstänkte ol’claes ohlson och jag hade rätt. Det blir shopping till helgen. Tack för tipset!

• Hummmlan says:

Åh vad jag har blivit inspirerad av dina organisationstips!! Idag har jag sorterat papper som har legat och skräpat i diverse lådor i köket. Imorgon ska jag ta mig an sekretären…
    Tack!
    P.S Var har du fått tag i den där ursnygga lampan?

• Benita says:

Visste väl att ni skulle bli sugna på tejpen :). I know what makes a girl go wild!
    Hummmmlan, lampan är jättegammal. Köpte den på House som låg vid Odenplan för länge,länge sen…

• oh, your blog just cheers me right up! i love how your workspace is coming along–

• kannika says:

I now have the problem with hiding all cables under my computer desk. will try to use your technique (tape). By the way, wish you have a great trip. Bon voyage:)

• Mia says:

En liten utmärkelse finns till dig på min sida!
    Ha det bra!

• Nina says:

I have to congratulate you on your beautiful house! Although I’m not a big fan of white walls you make everything look fresh and shiny! I’ve been meaning to ask: can you tell me where you got the hangers from that can be seen in your basement before the sewing area was put in? I’ve been looking all over for white/clear ones. Somehow manufacturers don’t seem to see the need to produce things without bright unmatchy colours :o)
    Hope you have a great trip!

• Nikki says:

Hi Benita,
    I always read your blog and love it. I don’t often leave messages but I just came back from NYC with my own teenaged son, and I just wanted to say, if you see a play, pick Blue Man Group which is exactly what a teen would like. My son kept saying he had seen them in his music class, and they “sucked”, but since I had the tickets we went and you should have seen him, he laughed his head off. He also really enjoyed the Top of the Rock. And he said he wanted to go back soon to see “Jersey Boys”, another play in Broadway. Enjoy!
    Nikki

• maddy says:

I have never heard of cable tape, so I am going to look for it.
    Have a wonderful trip to NYC!

• Benita says:

Nina, I got the hangers at Åhléns, a local department store. Maybe organize.com or the Container Store have some clear ones. Or IKEA?
    Nikki, Wille has heard of the Blue Man group and got excited! Apparently they were mentioned on Scrubs, his favourite show at the mo. Will Google to find out more. Thanks so much for the tip!

• Cheri says:

Hi, Benita~ I have been reading your blog for quite awhile now, and I love it! I am a huge NYC fan and have been several times. I would also recommend Blue Man Group as a show your son would like. I took my 14 year old in May and he loved it. I have seen quite a few shows if you would like some other suggestions! Have a wonderful time…

• Nikki says:

To Cheri:
    I was the one who commented on Blue Man Group… I was wondering if you saw Jersey Boys too? My son (13) and I are going back to NYC in Sep or Oct and from the snippets we saw in our hotel, it seemed like a nice show too.
    Nikki

• Cheri says:

Nikki~
    I did not get to see Jersey Boys. When I was standing in line getting tickets for Wicked (an amazing show!), I asked a man in line with me about Jersey Boys, and he said it was good but the language was really bad. My son went to see Spamalot and liked it. He thought it was really funny. I didn’t take him to see Wicked with me, so I’m not sure what a 13 or 14 year old would think…but for you it would be incredible! My son also really enjoyed seeing the armor in the Metropolitan Museum of Art…also the Superhero exhibit there. Hope you have a great time~ I would love to go to NYC in the fall…
    Cheri

• Tiffanie says:

Hi Cheri! First – I’m completely inspired by your organization methods. I’m currently looking for new containers for ugly everyday stuff that I use.
    Second – After reading your post about hiding cables, I stumbled on this article (http://www.remodelista.com/2008/08/28/back-to-work-cord-and-charger-solutions/)and thought “Cheri would LOVE this”.

• Benita says:

Tiffanie, Thanks for the link!

• Egle says:

First time on your blog and REALLY like it.
    Hiding cables is a great idea, but as we live in a rented apartment, after we move out we have to leave everything as new and never lived in (Switzerland, you know).
    So if we use this tape to pass cables on white painted walls, do you think once they are taken off the tape will be easy to remove? Will it leave marks or go away with the paint? I have a suspicion it would, but thought will ask just to double check 🙂

• Benita says:

Egle, I’m sorry I can’t say for sure. It doesn’t seem to dry completetly though but remain slightly sticky. Looks like it could be pulled off after wards, a bit like a band aid and maybe any residue stickiness could be removed with glue remover?!

• ana says:

I hate black cable so much, bought some silver things like music box and coffe mashine and the cable is black?! Do you know any shopp delivering this cable tape to Germany? I didnt’t find it here. Thank you!