What a day!

Some days have more content than others. I don't know how to otherwise describe this day.

As I went to work this morning I was a 5-day a week office worker. By lunch time I was a 4-day office worker/1-day self employed person. Imagine that!

The reason for this turn of events was that there were other changes occurring at work and the opportunity came up for me to tell my boss that I had plans to cut down. Suddenly it all made so much sense and it was so easy to say it out loud.

I won't actually start working four days a week until after the new year, but the knowledge that I will have more time for other projects is so uplifting. I was on cloud nine all afternoon! Still am as a matter of fact!

It is a bit scary, I will need to make up for the loss of income somehow, but tonight I'm just over the moon and will think about it tomorrow! And I'm not a procrastinator, so I will really think abut it tomorrow. It's on my to-do list! Tonight I'll celebrate with a glass of wine and slowly fall a asleep in my armchair.

Besides all this excitement I had some horrible Christmas campaign samples arriving which needed to be dealt with. I absolutely hate that part of my office job (see, I'm already accustomed to the idea that I have two jobs :). I also had an office work related (see, I'm really getting used to it now) meeting in the city in the afternoon and in between accompanied Wille to a photo shoot. My cute, sweet, darling teenager earns his own pocket money modeling. This time around it was for a cell phone operator. So far he's paid a large chunk on his state of the arts games computer, his iPhone and still has money in the bank to get a game or something else entirely should he wish to :) He's the best, my boy!

To top this weird day off, the little Red Cross charity shop "Kupan" was open on our way home from the subway. In the photo you can see my lucky finds. Love the little glass dishes (ash trays?). Love the little egg cups. Martin claims the orange one is his. The egg holders are going in the fridge. Love them too 🙂

Have a great Friday night! I know I will 🙂

Ps. I'm so smiley tonight, you wouldn't believe it,. Maybe I WILL write a book!

• L says:

I have a glass dish very similar to those and it came with an aromatic candle on top. I love the egg holders. Congrats on the new work arrangements! But it’s hard to imagine you coul be even more productive and tackle more projects!

• Marianne says:

I am a bit jealous of you. I’d love to cut down to 4 days as well, but I can’t for financial reasons. I am able to buy some extra leave, which I did this years (and will next year). Maybe in a few years I can cut down.
    Your new finds are great.
    Bye,
    Marianne.

• CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you! This is so exciting it made ME feel over the moon. Your posts are so honest and lovely. I truly wish you all the best with your upcoming life changing event. I’m sure it’s going to be extremely fulfilling as you’ll have more time to dedicate to your projects! Once again, congrats! 🙂

• Stephenie says:

Congrats, Benita. I’m a newer reader, but you’re blog is my absolute favorite. It’s always the first thing I pull up when I log into my computer each day. You’re work is so inspiring and I’m excited at the possibility of seeing more from you. Thanks so much for all the great ideas and information you share.

• Melissa says:

Congratulations! That is so exciting. I hope you are able to supplement your income without too much stress. I know exactly what you’re going through and wish you all the best!

• devil says:

Good for you, Benita! By January, I’ll bet you won’t even need to worry about the income difference. Besides, money comes and money goes, but time can’t be gained or earned or saved, only spent. Life is short and it goes by so fast, you gotta chase your passion. That’s why we’re here, right?
    Thanks for sharing this with us….very inspirational 🙂

• Lindzi says:

Hurra för dig!! Sådana tjejer behövs det fler av! Hoppas det blir en bok. Kram!

• Jean says:

What a nice way for the change to come about – it sounds as if things just fell into place. It’s obvious that it is a huge weight off of your shoulders. And what fun for Wille to earn his own money in front of the camera! Have a terrific weekend.

• kellyt says:

Congratulations! I can feel your excitement coming through the computer!

• Ksenia in Canada says:

If anyone has what it takes to be self-employed, you do :). I say that having been self-employed for 13 years ;-). So write that book. Or become an e-organizer. Or whatever fantastic project captures your fancy. Raising my glass to you…

• Darci says:

Congrats!! You have three months to figure things out 🙂 I’m sure it will lovely when it’s all said and done.

• AK says:

Congrats Benita.I am very happy for you.And Wille sounds like a very responsible teenager.

• Barb F (Australia) says:

Congratulations, that is such fantastic news! I definitely think you should write that book, and I’m sure once you put your mind to it you’ll think of a zillion other things you want to do. Isn’t it great how things just fall into place sometimes?

• Victoria says:

Grattis! Du kommer inte att ångra dig. Jag jobbar precis så, fast 3 dagar ute och 2 dagar hemma, sedan några år tillbaka och det är jätteskönt! Pengar kommer och går, men att ha egen tid är så mycket mer värt. Lycka till!

• Aku says:

Grattis! It’s lovely to see when people have the courage to make changes in their life. I’m sure it’ll all work out really well. 🙂
    The glass dishes are lovely.

• joan says:

You skipped a little stone out into the waters of your universe and got the ripples going! Sounds like it was something that needed to happen for you right now. What a gift you’ve earned!! And, yes, do think about that book, Benita! You have a lot to share with everyone. Congratulations!
    Joan in Louisiana

• maddy says:

Congrats on your new (eventually!) work schedule.
    I think you should write a book, for sure. I could also see you consulting as a professional organizer, helping people re-organize and come up with creative solutions for dealing with their households.

• Sol says:

Congratulations!
    Every day I visit this site… I love your work and words.

• carol k says:

I am so glad a piece of your dream is now a reality!
    I hope you will write a book!I love your tips and design inspirations . I go to your blog first thing every day and I am always able to find a “lift” in my day. I have used so much from your blog to help calm and beautify my own home and work space. I also think e-consulting for interior design and creative organization solutions would be a great fit for you.

• Concha says:

Oh, Benita, congratulations!! What a fantastic and exciting opportunity for you!! I’m honestly trilled for you. Please do write a book — I’ll definitely buy it!
    I also want to thak you again for your post about advice on selling on Etsy. I have finally opened my own little Etsy shop and your post has elped me a lot. Thanks!

• Oh, my God what exciting news! This is so wonderful and I can’t wait to see what the super effecient Benita will do with this extra time, I am sure it will be something extraordinary and I wish you all the luck in the world!

• Benita says:

Wow! Thank you all so much for the well wishes 🙂 Back at work today it felt so good to finally have made the decision. Now I will proceed to write a book proposal!

• carol says:

I am so happy for you, Benita! With your time management skills and creativity, I can’t wait to see the new ideas and projects you come up with. If anyone will make good use of a four day work week, it’s you!!!

• s.HOPtalk says:

Congratulations on the new and improved schedule Benita. You’re so talented…I just know you will find a way to successfully fill in the financial gap of working 1 less day a week at your current job. Best wishes.

• jame says:

Write the book—your generosity of spirit will endear you to readers!
    Let me know if you want help brainstorming, “organizing” (the writing kind), editing or proofreading.
    Congratulations on feeling the flow!

• Way to go Benita! You’re going to love your new life. I couln’t see myself working at the office any longer and quit my job couple of weeks ago. Now I’m doing what I feel I should be doing – and loving almost every minute of it (accounting and all the other paper stuff you know – oh no, you don’t know becaue you love it, he he) All the best and think big – the world is waiting for you!!! Hugs, Minna 🙂

• Gül says:

I came tback to this post through some related-posts, I would like to ask about those little glass dishes, curios about how did you end up using them?

• To be honest I’ve never used them. They have survived quite a few purging sessions though beause I like them so much. One of these days I’ll know what to do with them :).