Yummy Jam

023 12

Well it's really marmalade but the title looks better like that. And I do also enjoy a little tongue twister. Hehe. It may be real easy for English speaking people to say that but for us Swedes those sounds are too confusingly similar and yet not. Hehe.

On Sunday I harvested our plums and made the marmalade. I've tried different recipes since we moved here and somehow it always came out to runny. Last year I tried the preserving sugar which already has everything in it, you just add the fruit.

It works so well! Perfect color and perfect consistency and so quick!

I printed some label which I cut out and glue-sticked (Is that a verb? Glue-stuck???) on each jar. The simpler the label the better is my experience. I tire easily of things I make myself so a simple frame and typeface is what I go for nowadays.

014 ps

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

If this post looks different from my previous ones it's because I suddenly today have the new typepad version on the "next-generation-platform" which is supposedly easier to use. Having written 127 posts on the old version this feels new and exciting but also a little bit uncomfortable. Where to save, how to upload… Apparently one can now click on the photos to see them full size. Can't tell if it works because it doesn't as I'm typing this. Will have to try after publishing…

And to top all this new technical stuff off today I finally got the full Photoshop CS3 on my laptop and that confuses me completely since for some reason, although I chose the English version it's in Swedish. I now have to relearn it all in Swedish. Like always, so much to do and so little time…

• Kelli says:

Here in the US, I’ve never heard of plum being a jam or marmalade. We have plums at the store but they are big and round. Very interesting that you got these out of your yard. They look so pretty and I love your blog.

• Rachel says:

I’ve never heard of a plum marmalade. Do you have a link to the recipe? I have a huge plum tree so I’m extra interested!

• Tessa says:

I love plum jam, I must make some too. I like Victoria plums, the colour is beautiful as well as the taste….mmmmm
    nice with some cinnamon or allspice.
    (Best to just say glued or stuck for the labels.)
    cheers

• Lisa says:

Plum marmalade sounds yummy! I have made pepper jelly and found that mine is runny too. I called my sister (a canning expert) and she said to add more pectin. I wish I could find the stuff you use as it sounds easier.

• Monika says:

Köpte hus i våras och på tomten finns det 8! fruktträd, däribland ett plommonträd. Blev också sugen att prova på att göra plommonmarmelad när jag läste din blogg (försöker titta in varje dag :o) Jag undrar nu vad det är för socker du använder? Tack för en mycket inspirerande blogg.

• Benita says:

I don’t have the recipe link online, sorry. I know there is a similar sugar avalable in other countries too though. Read about it on a US blog if I remember corectly. I made the marmalade according to the package. All the pectin and everything is already in it. In Swedish it’s called “Syltsocker” by Dansugar. 1-2 kg of fruit + 1 kg of the sugar. 2-10 minutes of boiling time (depending on hat fruit you are using) I went for about 8-10 minutes for the plums.

• Rachel says:

Very cool, I’ll do some hunting, thanks so much for letting me know about this!

• sharon says:

ah these look like czech plumbs we had when we stayed in Czech Republic – they called them Svetsky. Very sweet
    Yummo – don’t think they would make it to jam here in our house

• jenny says:

åh vad det såg härligt ut!
    ska göra äppelmos men har inte tagit mig tiden..
    kram

• Tessa says:

Lisa if u can’t find that special sugar u could make you own pectin from apples. Under ripe apples are best. Halve or quarter them barely cover with water and give them a long slow cook stirring every so often. Sieve and use some of the gloop to set jam. Trial and error as to how much to use.
    Surplus can be frozen and used later.

• D Casey says:

The jam looks wonderful, but my excitement about this blog is over your labels. They are fabulous! The simplicity of design and font and color is beautiful.
    Are you using a heavier weight or special paper? Do they hold well on glass when using a glue stick?

• Benita says:

The paper for the labels is just regular office weight. The glue stick works just as well as the spray glue I used to use 🙂

• Peter says:

Nice labels. The verb would be glued.
    Thanks for a nice site ; )

• Lynn says:

How are you canning with used, non-canning jars? It doesn’t look like you are sealing with pectin. How do the lids seal? Is it safe? I have some lovely recycled glasses I’d love to can with if I had a safe way to do it.
    I love your web site. I just found it this weekend and spent many hours looking at your lovely house!

• katie says:

benita: i too wonder about those recycled jars. do you just put those straight to your fridge and use them 1st or did you sterilize them? i’m venturing into the freezer jam thing now but i’d love to store them for winter in jars! =) LOVE YOUR BLOG ..i am HOOKED! =)

• OMG! Did I not answer your question?! I’m so sorry, I must have missed it.
    I use old jam jars and before filling them with jam I clean them out with a product called Atamon. It’s a preserver that you can also put in the jam if the recipe requires it. You take a cap full in a cup of warm water and rinse the jars and lids in that. I don’t know the foreign equivalent though, sorry. The jam I make is usually pretty sweet (lots of sugar) and I guess the sugar helps preserve it too. I’ve never in over ten years have anything go bad. I’m sure there is a similar preservative (or product) you can use to clean out your jars in your country. Maybe you can google it?

• Oh dear, I completely missed that question. Didn’t see it until you referred to it. I’ve answered it now and hope Lynn isn’t to cross with me… Please read my answer to Lynn which hopefully answers yours too.