Folding Towels

Kalai read this post I guess and e-mailed and wanted to know if I had any tips on how to fold towels nicely and uniformly.

To get nice and neat stacks I think the key is to start off with the same sized towels or if you have different sized ones to stack them from small at the top to larger at the bottom.

I fold mine differently depending on where I store or display them. I figure out a good folding method and the stick to it through out.

Here's how I fold the ones above.

Lay the towel front down.

Fold one third over.

Fold the other flap over the first fold.

Fold one third over again.

And again.

Flip over and tadaaaa!

Kalai also asked how to best fold fitted sheets and I use Martha's method on this so why don't you pop over to her site and check it out. I don't iron mine first though… Do you iron your sheets?

Happy Thanksgiving!

• devil says:

Great photos, Benita.
    Ironing sheets makes about as much sense as washing the car during a rainstorm. So, no, I don’t πŸ˜‰
    I don’t use fitted sheets, because my mattress is so thick. I use two flat sheets and overlap them on the bed and tuck them in. The double thickness of sheet over the top of the bed keeps the mattress pad cleaner longer. I got this idea from Martha Stewart, so I guess she doesn’t always use fitted sheets.

• Emma says:

Absolutely, I iron my sheets. It’s one of life’s little luxuries for me. I iron them with a liberal spray of homemade lavender linen water. I don’t love ironing them but I really love slipping into crisp, cool, freshly ironed sheets on a Friday night. Heaven. And it’s Friday already here in Australia – yippee!
    Try it! You’ll like it too! Go on, just once!

• Neda says:

I also love to sleep in fresh, clean and iron sheets. Sometimes it is not possible to iron or have them iron for me.
    Does someone still irons the towels?

• Erin Kleider says:

NOOOO!!!! Goodness no! I don’t iron unless I absolutely have to or I’m sewing. Yuck. Obviously, I am not as Martha-ish as some of your readers…sigh. I wish I was…sometimes.

• Ksenia in Canada says:

Life is too short to iron sheets…:-D

• Caroline says:

No way I would iron our sheets!
    Thansk for the Martha-link-tip. Seems so easy, so why did I not do it before? πŸ™‚

• Lindzi says:

Gotta buy more white towels! I don’t iron sheets but when I lived in Gbg we had a mangle in the laundry room. It really takes NO place in on the shelves if you flatten the sheets.

• Fernanda says:

Reading the posts above I can see how different we all are. I HAVE to iron my sheets. Sheets here are 100% cotton (mostly Egyptian Cotton) and although I try not to buy anything higher than 250 thread, even the ones 180 thread I have to iron. If I don’t it seems as if they just got munched by a huge elephant (not a preety sight).,
    And coming to think of it, I even iron kids’ sheets (which are cotton/polyester mix), because they don’t look nice either out of the washing machine. Sometimes I even re-iron them on bed (that’s when I’m in a VERY good mood, at least pillow cases). The bed really looks way much better.
    And I DO iron my towels as well.
    Having said that, by the way, I agree wholeheartedly with Ksenya above that life is too short to iron sheets, but if I didn’t, I life would be unbearable…
    Fernanda – who thought that EVERYONE ironed sheets

• I’m glad if I have time to iron shirts so ironing sheets is out of the question… I do iron our pillow cases come think of it πŸ™‚

• Anna @ D16 says:

I fold my towels exactly the same way; my shelves aren’t deep enough to do it the way they do in the stores.
    I don’t iron my sheets anymore. I don’t have time! I do iron the duvet cover when I wash it (which is really only a couple of times per season, because we use a top sheet). I’ve been wanting to make my own sheets and pillowcases out of heavyweight, raw linen, though, because it just looks better and better with every washing…and it looks better un-ironed!

• Helena says:

Thank you for the tips.
    Yes, my sheets are ironed and my towels too!
    Thank God that this work, usually, isn’t done by me but I have already done it a few times. As Fernanda wrote, sheets donΒ΄t look nice …

• Angela says:

I absolutely iron my sheets! Not before I fold them, but before I put them on the bed, and with a generous spritz of Mrs. Meyer’s lavender ironing spray on the hems of the top sheet and pillow cases. (And am now terribly jealous that Emma has a recipe for homemade lavender linen water!)
    My husband made fun the first time, but he really enjoys slipping into the crisp-soft pressed linens.
    Love the blog! I try to make sure I come look every evening.

• Karen says:

I don’t iron my sheets, but I do iron my pillow cases. I like the smooth crispness of them. I use lavendar water and it makes the house smell so good on ironing day.

• Emma says:

Iron or not, of course it’s up to everyone to decide. My mother would call it “waste of womens time”, and I agree.

• carol k says:

I do iron my sheets. I find it soothing. I love the way they look and smell when they have been freshly washed and ironed. I take them from the dryer while still damp, otherwise the sheets are too wrinkled.I try to do all the ironing on the same day every week.

• Kalai says:

Hi, Benita!
    Thank you so very much for the post and photos! I have soo many ways to fold towels; most learned from my country grandmother who thought “pretty” things were luxuries and sinful. So, the towel folding was pretty basic and boring.
    I haven’t ironed my sheets, I’m that kind of mother of 4 who is lucky if her sheets are clean first of all………hehe…maybe now that baby Isabella is older I can take the time to try iron sheets and see if it’s worth the effort.
    I’m totally sold on your white laundry room and bought white paint this weekend to try and adapt that style into my home. Every other room can have toys, shoes clothes and kids’ stuff-my laundry room will be white and crisp….
    Thanks again for the post!
    Kalai

• Dorothy says:

Here’s an important point about stacking towels, napkins or any folded item, even clothes. Most of you probably know this but just in case . . .
    Make sure that the edge of the item on the outside is the last fold. That way when someone wants to remove an item — from the top or from the middle — it is more likely she will pick up just one, and not part of the next one as well.
    This also lets you see at a glance how many items are in the pile.
    Hope this makes sense.