Garment Protectors

After we started to use fitted sheets for our beds we had lots of regular flat sheets left over and I decided to repurpose them and among other new uses I've made some into garment protectors.

We don't have huge amount of closet space in our house so the seldomly used garments (like Martin's tux and tails) are hung underneath the stairs  to the basement.

This is a simple sewing project. Lay two sheets on top of each other(or fold one), use a hanger as a guideline to outline the top of the protector with a pencil (making sure to add for seam allowance) and then add as much as you need in length. Don't bother about the hole for the hanger just yet. Cut and simply stitch along your outline. Zig zag and hem the bottom.

Get a grommet which is big enough for the hanger to pass through, punch and insert according to package and you're all set. One garment protector at your service!

~

I got a really good start on taking photos for my book today (bought a tripod last week as the light is still poor) so I'll probably continue shooting this weekend and doing some writing too. I can see it all coming together. Quite exciting! I hope your weekend will be exciting too!

• Jean says:

These are SO much more attractive than the plastic/vinyl ones that come with suits. And that’s great news about the book!

• Jen says:

Benita – I just love reading your blog and have been planning to make a garment bag for my boyfriend’s tuxedo for a couple months now. Your instructions are so easy to follow and I’m looking forward to trying your project.
    Can you tell us more about your book plans? Did you decide to publish through Blurb? Will those of us in the States be able to purchae it?
    Thank you again for all of your daily inspiration!

• Susie says:

YAY!!! Can’t wait for your e- book!!!

• Great idea – will definitely make some (and they look so much better than the plastic ones from Ikea…). Have a wonderful weekend in snowy Scandinavia!

• Petra from the Netherlands says:

Good idea to use a grommet for the hole, easy to make and sturdy…
    Oh yes, please tell us more about the book.
    I ordered a photobook through Blurb, it should be delivered sometime next week. I’m really curious to see the quality.

• Franziska says:

thanks for sharing the how-to. It’s definitely something for my husband’s suit and for a dress of mine which we wear very rarely.
    And I’m happy about news of your book. Can’t wait until I’m able to buy it.
    Hälsningar.

• Ksenia in Canada says:

Good luck with your work on the book! When I look at the mediocrity of the majority of home design/organization books, I predict that your book will really stand out.

• Jen, I’ve almost decided to publish through Blurb. I keep getting all these great tips on other ways to publish but keep coming back to Blurb a) because I ordered the Yvestown book and like the quality and b)since I’ll be having a lot of color photos in my book it works out to be not as expensive as some of the other companies when I’ve compared to.
    I’ll let you know in a post when it will be available and Blurb ships worldwide 🙂

• Tessa says:

Good idea.
    All the best with your book. I had not heard of Blurb before and have just had a look at their website, looks interesting.