Grommet Head Board

Carol (who has a gorgeous home!) asked to see the head board we have in our bedroom up closer after seeing it in this post.

Like most self built pieces in our home we used trusty old MDF. The grommet idea came from a Martha Stewart Living issue years ago where they used the technique on folding screens. Here it allows a little bit of air to escape from the radiator should we ever turn it on. We never have that radiator on though because it would get to warm in bed (according to Martin).

Because the bedroom is so tiny, Martin can barely put down his size 11's on the floor beside the bed, we built the shelves to the sides and added the windowsill top. The actual head board part is simply another MDF board cut to size. We left a gap at the bottom, again in case we do need to turn the radiator on for some resaon. The gap would prevent some of the warm air to get trapped behind there.

This is the view of the board from the back where you can see the drilled holes for the grommets to be inserted into. We used grommets which are meant for sewing and simply skipped the back bit. If I remember correctly we put some glue in each hole and then stuck the grommets in there.

The board is simply propped against narrow battens which are screwed to the top and sides. The bed keeps the board from tipping forward.

There is also a cut out in the windowsill where air can circulate. But like I said the radiator is never on.

In hindsight we would have used double thickness for the MDF for the top, it would look more substantial that way.

Carol, and any others who may have wondered, I hope this helps and good luck!

• chrispito says:

I love small bedrooms. I like feeling cosy! (Or to quote my beloved: what good is a bed if it isn’t snug).

• chrispito says:

• Franziska says:

I like the room, it’s cozy.

• Franziska says:

I like the room, it’s cozy.

• Maddy says:

I love your room and your view of trees out the window!

• Maddy says:

I love your room and your view of trees out the window!

• Linda P says:

MDF är ju bra till mycket 🙂 SÅg du bordet som MAtte och Willy gjorde i senaste Bygglov? Skiiiiitsnyggt!

• Linda P says:

• carol k says:

Benita- thanks so much for the wonderful compliment about our home.
    I LOVE this headboard!!! This is such a cool idea. I was not able to see the grommets in the earlier photos. I think this is a great and stylish solution to make a headboard and cover your radiator. Now if only you could solve the issue of why the bedroom is always too warm for many of our husbands you would make a fortune! It’s about 15 F ,roughly -9 C,at night and my husband ALWAYS sleeps with the window open. Brrrrrrrrrr!
    I am always so inspired by you. You have helped me pull our home together and have shown me that organizing can be stylish and fun! Thank you so much for showing me how this was made and for answering my many questions!
    Carol

• carol k says:

Benita- thanks so much for the wonderful compliment about our home.
    Carol