Sixteen Random Things

I've received quite a few awards from fellow bloggers and have been tagged several times but I've been such a poor participant. I'm so sorry for not playing along but I have to blame it on lack of time. Thanks so much to all of you who have been so sweet and shame on me!

To remedy at least part of that I've gathered sixteen random things about myself and a lovely photo for you to enjoy.

Mustache courtesy of The Spy's Instant Disguise. I'm sporting "the Painter". Secret Agent, Cowboy, Pirate, Jewel Thief, Policeman and Detective are also available.

1. At the age of sixteen I changed my citizenship from Finnish to Swedish because I considered applying to the police academy.

2. At an even younger age I wanted to become an air hostess until I realized I would just become a glorified waitress.

3. My dad had high hopes of me becoming a diplomat. I am so not a diplomat. Sorry dad!

4. I grew up with Greyhounds and Salukis and love dogs but have become a cat person.

5. I hate shopping for clothes. I only ever shop when I'm abroad and have nothing better to do.

6. I'm the tech queen of the household. I'm also the resident plumber and electrician. I don't attempt any major jobs but the simple obvious stuff which usually entailing cables, wires and gunk. Neither being favorites.

7. Work wise I wish I had trained as an apprentice in a job requiring crafts skills; conservation, upholstery or such. Now I just dabble in everything.

8. My goal is that Wille will know what choices  are available to him later in life and that whatever he chooses to do whether it's academic or blue collar I'm behind him 100%.

9. We don't see ourselves living in Sweden for more than ten more years. Somewhere warmer and sooner than later sounds like a plan!

10. I speak Swedish, English, German and French. I studied Italian too but am at the very beginner level of only being able to order pizza, wine and a Coke for Wille in Rome. The wine was for me!

11. I would call myself artistic but I'm not an artist. I can't stand any "art" by myself. Martin is the artist and Wille his disciple.

12. I can't sing. At all. I'm so out of tune that I mime when I sing Happy Birthday.

13. I have a very sweet tooth. I could live on cookies, cake and chocolate alone but having IBS I try to eat more balanced than that but find it hard because I find food to be so boring.

14. I haven't worn a skirt since going to a wedding in 1998. Even then the bride, my former colleague, was surprised I had legs.

15. I get into occasional exercise frenzies, like biking to work all spring and summer long and then just dropping it and not move again unnecessarily for six months.

16. Tina and Irmeli are my middle names. I used to be embarrassed about both but now I think Irmeli is kind of cute an Tina is ok too.

• Jen says:

I would also add that you have beautiful skin, Bernita!

• Jen says:

I would also add that you have beautiful skin, Bernita!

• Karen says:

Nice mustache. Thanks for sharing! I totally agree with number 8. I am a teacher by training and my husband is a music teacher. We both agree that we want our son to know that we would be very proud of him in any profession or trade. We just want him to enjoy his work (and be able to support himself).

• Karen says:

• Sara says:

You’re so pretty!!

• Anne says:

Good thing I read your blog – turns out I don’t know you that well… I mean the police academy!
    πŸ™‚
    Oh, and if you move abroad, can I come too? Somewhere warm, where they have nice red wine and good chocolate.

• Anne says:

πŸ™‚

• Ali Edwards says:

Love reading these things about you Benita – we could form a “Horrible Singers Club” together.

• Ali Edwards says:

• ibabe says:

Thanks!
    Somewhere warmer? Anywhere in mind?

• ibabe says:

Thanks!
    Somewhere warmer? Anywhere in mind?

• corinne says:

good to see you πŸ™‚
    your last point made me laught… my parents put my middle name “marie denise”, I must have look old as from day 1 !
    A bientot,

• corinne says:

good to see you πŸ™‚
    A bientot,

• Carola from Austria says:

i decided not to give middle names to my two girls because i didn’t like mine… margit… but i am okay with it now and don’t hide it from others anymore πŸ™‚ irmeli sounds totally swiss.

• Rachel says:

Well I LOVE your art! I get so many compliments on your sweet kitty cards. They make me so happy as well!

• Rachel says:

• Marianne says:

I love your random thing #14!

• Marianne says:

I love your random thing #14!

• Anna @ D16 says:

Loved this list, Benita! Thank you for sharing. #8 makes me feel especially happy. πŸ™‚

• Anna @ D16 says:

• Christine says:

I like your list! We have a greyhound (used to have two), and I think they’re the most catlike breed of dogs there is. Most people I know from our greyhoundclub also have lots of cats, so your point #4 makes sense to me. πŸ™‚
    Christine

• Christine says:

Christine

• talia says:

Ooooh, I love your blog so much and appreciate all the thought and care you put into it. I enjoyed reading your list, but you will not endear yourself to the flight attendants who read your blog! Flight attendants’ training, smarts, and dedication to their passengers have enabled them to save lives. They’ve *given* their lives in doing so, too! But I’m sure you did not reeeally mean they are just “glorified waitresses”, right?

• carol k says:

Oh Boy! Can I relate or what! I love sweets. Yes m’am, I would eat cookies for breakfast lunch AND dinner if I would not become shaped like one.
    I love what you said about being behind Willie 100%- that is awesome!
    Benita, you are beautiful! Your skin is so lovely… is it genes or products? I hope you say products,because I want some of whatever they are! Loved knowing these things about you.

• carol k says:

I love what you said about being behind Willie 100%- that is awesome!

• Erin says:

I thought I was the only one that thought all food without chocolate as a main ingredient was boring.
    Actually I have a handful of other things I like too, but Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Chocolate Cake and chocolate candy rates pretty high on the list.
    Erin πŸ™‚

• Erin says:

Erin πŸ™‚

• talia, I knew I would upset a few flight attendants by saying that. I’m sorry. It’s just that at the age of 11 I saw myself flying all over the world and everything just seemed so much more exciting that what it appears to be now that I do fly all aver the world as a passenger… I read those semi-mystery teenage Nancy Drew type stories about air hostesses. I guess I realised it wasn’t for me, that’s all πŸ™‚

• Tove says:

So fun to hear more about you!
    See we have quite a lot in common…. LOL!
    Have a nice day!

• Tove says:

So fun to hear more about you!
    See we have quite a lot in common…. LOL!
    Have a nice day!

• nicolezh says:

Hi Benita,
    I really like your blog, you are a huge inspiration for me and our place and it is sooo nice to know how you look like! BTW:In German we would say: Wille ist dir wie aus dem Gesicht geschnitten!
    I work in Zurich, Switzerland, and if you have ever the chance to go there: It is chocolate heaven!

• nicolezh says:

Hi Benita,

• ibabe, we’re considering Spain, France, Porugal or we may just move further down south in Sweden. No decisions yet, just dreams πŸ™‚
    Carol, I’d have to say genes and probably no smokinng and no make up. My skin care is super simple. At the moment I use Neutrogena.
    Nicolezh, I’ve ben to Switzerland quite a few times πŸ™‚ I’ve even been to Zurich and Baden. My grandma used to live at the German/Swiss border in LΓΆrrach so we used to walk into Basel a lot. The chocolate is delicious there…

• carol k says:

Benita- I KNEW it was genes! Rats!
    Carol

• carol k says:

Benita- I KNEW it was genes! Rats!
    Carol

• samara says:

Irmeli Γ€r hur vackert som helst =)

• samara says:

Irmeli Γ€r hur vackert som helst =)

Nice photo :-))))
    And – 1,2,4 are the same (almost, I took german citizenship) and 9 – well this is my plan too! :-))) Weiter, Punkt 10 – the same. 12 13 also. I didn’t like skirts for years but do wear them last year or so and feel so young and female again :-)). Punk 15 – oh yes!
    Irmeli sounds so sweet!!!

Nice photo :-))))
    Irmeli sounds so sweet!!!