Draught Stoppers

In my post from yesterday some of you spotted the sausage in front of the window. It's a draught stopper. Come fall I make sure all windows have the draught excluders in working order but in addition to that I've added these stoppers in the windows where Mini and Bonus like to lie. Mini and Bonus's favorite window spots are the dresser in these photos where they can look out onto the street with warm air from the radiator heating the sheepskins they lie on and the window sill in Wille's room where they have a cosy fleece blanket hidden behind a screen.

I sewed these long sausages the width of the windows. I cut about 11 cm /4 1/2" wide strips out of off-white velvet, folded lengthwise and sewed them together inside out leaving one end open, turned right side out, filled with dry yellow peas and stitched the end to close.

The last photo was taken tonight in the dark. I wasn't able to take the whole thing in situ in daylight as Mini was occupying her spot in that space… Kittie's come first in this household…

Oh, I had a question from Barb in the comments yesterday regarding cat hair and thought I'd answer it here right away. Our cats shed from just about now until late summer and then not much at all the rest of the year. As they start shedding I brush them as often as I can (which they looooove). I vacuum the house thoroughly once a week including the upholstery (even when they are not shedding). If they've been lying in a spot for a long time I'll use a garment brush to get the hair off that spot. Another way of removing pet hair from upholstery is to put rubber gloves on and stroke the hair off.

• MarylandMom says:

Hi,
    I use this same thing, too, in my daughter’s room. She sleeps right next to the windowsill. But ours does double-duty. I filled a flannel tube with dry rice and we stick it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes as a heat pack. I have a larger one – about three times as wide – that I use on really cold nights.
    Love this blog!

• Victoria says:

Va smart lösning för dragiga fönster! Får alltid massa bra och smarta tips och idéer av dig!
    Ha en trevlig kväll!!

• MarylandMom, I’d love to make a heat pack! Do you just use regular cooking rice?

• Michelle of Montreal says:

Thanks for highlighting the draught-stoppers!
    You can use dry beans to fill heat packs too. My mom has one (bought from a drugstore) that has beans inside. The downside is that you can smell the beans when it’s warmed up.

• Dawn says:

hi Benita
    I ordered some cleaned cherry stones for a heat pack, and the upside is they are washable! Great for a child’s bed, which tends to meet with accidents occasionally. I just chuck it into the machine, although it’s noisy in the tumble dryer and takes ages to air dry.
    From what I’ve seen and read, lots of things can be used in a heat pack. Regular rice, oat groats, beans, barley, etc. Probably those dry peas would work as well as anything. You can add lavender flowers or a tiny bit of essential oil to add a different scent (I wonder if hops would work, for those that find it a nice sleepy smell)
    I like having a removable cover (with one end that flips over) so that I can wash it, or at least I did before I made the washable bags.

• Jae says:

I’m a new(ish) reader. How did Mini and Bonus come by their names?

• Michelle, I’ll make sure I’ll not put beans inside, but I’ll definitly try and make a heat pack!

• Jae, Mini was the smallest of her litter and she’s still fairly small in size. Bonus is her brother and no one had claimed him when I went to pick her up at 12 weeks so they asked whether we wanted him as well 🙂 He was a Bonus! They are both the best!

• Barbara says:

I love that you call them sausages… I don’t suppose an actual sausage would work?? 😉 love your blog, btw!

• MarylandMom says:

Hi,
    Yes – regular cooking rice (uncooked). It does smell a little rice-y when you heat it, but I like that smell.
    For the larger one, it also has dried lavender in it, and smells heavenly. I can heat that one for 3-4 minutes. That tube is about 6″ by 20″, divided into 3 sections, otherwise all the rice can sag to one end or the other. Sectioning these helps distribute the rice a little more. On the big one, I have the inner bag, which is just plain cotton, with an outer slipcover in washable velvet. Good luck!

• Noelia says:

Hi Benita!
    Talking about pey hair…i saw in one of your posts that you have a vertical vacuum cleaner…is it with batteries? Is it good for the job? I have two little dogs and two cats and NEED to vacuum everyday (well, at least i want to) but my vacuum cleaner is too big and uncomfortable for everyday use and can´t leave it in the house because my house is too small…so i have it in a little room in the garden..
    Love your blog and your house..you give me strenght to make my own house better everyday…your posts are so down-to -earth and real that make things look doable..
    Greetings from Argentina!
    Noelia.

• Tess says:

bygg nytt hus så visar just nu massa inredningsbilder där ifrån kika gärna in å kommentera skulle göra mej glad
    å tack för en fin blogg med trevlig läsning
    kram

• Karen says:

I need to make some of these. Thanks for MORE inspiration….you just don’t quit! I love your kitties.

• Daniela De Jongh says:

Hi Benita,
    I have heard the best thing to use for heat packs is the dry cherry pits, they get hotter and have the highest retention of heat compared to beans or rice…
    This is my first time commenting here (or on any blog), I found you through AP in December and started to read you and some of your favorite blogs, but I held you responsible for all the blog reading that I have been doing lately… you make me smile everyday and I thank you for all the effort you put into writing to us

• Vilken absolut toppenidé! Det måste jag ta och sy några till våra fönster… de är inte vad de borde vara 🙂 Har sett det någonstans förrut tror jag… de hade nog ris i. Borde fungera också tror jag.
    Kram Jenny

• Thanks for all the avice on heat packs. I’ll see if I get a minute this weekend to make one!
    Noelia, The upright vacuum cleaner I have is the Electrolux Ergorapido. It comes with a charger. I don’t think it’s got strong enough suction for upholsery and a lot of pet hair. I use mine downstairs in the basement to vacuum the laundry room if needed during the week but always end up bringing my regular vacuum cleaner downstairs once a week do do the big job.

Being also a cat owner I have to clean very oft, have no carpets (i like clean wood on the floor, have leather for upholstery) but struggle a lot with our clotches, lint roller doesn’t help me much. And beddings…I thought no cat there no hair. But every single time I find afterwards in dryer a bunch of cat hairs…and yes I consider to get a cat nr. 2 in this home :-))

• Dawn says:

flax seed also works well
    I don’t know if I’m convinced about the heat holding capacity of cherry pits being all that much greater, having used rice, flax, and cherry pits. The cherry pits don’t “pop” when you overheat them, like the seeds do though.

• Kristen says:

Hi Benita,
    Kind of off-topic, but how do you launder your sheepskin rugs?
    -Kristen of Los Angeles

• Kristen, I have a white sheepskin from IKEA and I threw that in the washer a while ago. I washed it according the instructions on the back but it didn’t look great afterwards, the back became stiff and the fur tousled. Funny thing though is that now Bonus loves it and he didn’t want to sleep on it before 🙂 The other skins I have to admit to never having washed! Is that gross? One reason being that one of them came with Mini and Bonus from the farm where they were born and I want to keep it intact. It’s ugly but they love it and I just can’t get rid if it. I do shake and air all the skins every weekend and vacuum them and they don’t smell bad or anything like that…

• Kristen says:

Thanks, Benita! I was eyeballing those very Ikea sheepskins to use as kitty beds but I couldn’t see how they’d come out of the wash looking good. I’m happy to hear shaking, airing and vacuuming them does the trick. I decided to buy a few and went to Ikea, but they didn’t have them all of a sudden! I’ll have to go back to check later this week. Though it’s cold and snowing in Southern California right now, all the stores have their Spring and Summer stuff out. It’s crazy. Maybe the sheepskins at Ikea are seasonal … I never noticed before.
    Also, for pet hair, a great vacuum is the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Hand Vac. It could suck the paint off the walls!

• krisbee says:

Hi there we have sheepskins for our 2 dogs and I throw them in the machine on wool wash,after I get the dog brush and, give the skins a good brush, they look like new, you can also give them a brush weekly to dehair them even when they dont need a wash