Happy Awning

Ok, bare bear with me today. I'm so frustrated. I had four whole days off and accomplished nothing. Nada. Zilch. Nichts. Rien. Niet. Inget.

My to-do list was about the length of my arm but in hind sight not much could be ticked off completely. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been sitting on my couch for 96 hours, I've been up and about as usual with Bonus waking me at 6 am and finally going to bed at past 11 pm but I've had constant interruptions (Sorry Mini and Bonus. I love you but you keep meowing exactly as I'm about to start something), lack of concentration (I have a hard time concentrating on written projects such as book proposal writing with the rest of the family watching my favorite show or discussing things I want to join in), company (my friend Sanna and her son Leo/Wille's best friend came over which was really nice!) etc etc.

I did get quite a few things done which weren't on the list (how did that happen?) and even if I add them afterward (I do that) it doesn't help all the unaccomplished ones on there, some of which are quite important. I'm going back to work knowing there's double the amount of stuff to do next (regular three-day) weekend AND were having company all of next Sunday. I need a working vacation. As I was telling Carol I did a great deal of work on the train to my mom's last weekend so I should probably just buy a train ticket, bring my laptop and get on with it.

Ok, enough of the moaning!

On a happier note; I had some questions about our awning. I'm HAPPY to show it more closely. When we moved into our house eleven years ago there was an awning already up but with it being stripy brown, orange and dirty cream we took it down when we repainted the house from yellow/brown (eeek!) to grey/white. Before and afters in this post.

We were (are) always short on cash so the dirty old thing was kept in storage in the garage for years and we used a big white parasol on the upper deck which was kind of cute but inefficient when it rained.

A few years ago we decided to do something about it and got new fabric sewn for the existing awning mechanism. Our old thing is hand cranked but there are electrical remote controlled ones available too if you are into gadgets.

White was our choice (surprise!) for the fabric but the sales person warned us that it would get dirty. It does, but I can live with that. I've used a long handled brush with an environmentally friendly soap and a hose to clean it (with so-so result) in the past but apparently there's a special cleaner for awnings which I might try next time.

I love the awning. It keeps the living room cool in the summer but with the fabric being white still lets the light in (as opposed to the stripy brown making it really dark inside). When it's windy we pull it in because it makes noises which freak me out a bit. On an every day basis it's out just enough to cover the door when it's open and to give Mini and Bonus some shelter when entering the house through their kitty door.

Hey! I feel better now! Blogging does that I've noticed. Feel down? Blog!

~

Today's Swedish words:

awning = markis

living room = vardagsrum

kitty door = kattlucka

• Petra from the Netherlands says:

How clever to make your own new “markis” using the old framework… I didn’t post the other day but I also love your simple solution for a carpet on the deck. Plus, I really like those Swedish words, some are really similar to Dutch:
    markis = markies
    kattlucka = kattenluik
    Good luck on all the work that’s left. I still can’t believe how much you get done in a week…

• Awesome post! Thank you for sharing this with us, Benita. I cannot wait to show my husband what our next project is (haha)!

• Jenifir says:

I add to my lists when I do extra things too. I also use my Mum’s trick of writing down some things I have just completed and crossing them out or giving them a check first to get me feeling good about a really long list. The awning looks very happy indeed. I am so glad you were able to repurpose the original awning mechanism and just replace the canvas. I think the white looks great and agree with the light considerations when choosing fbric. It is funny how so many people are afraid of dirt -it is like it never occurs to them that things can be washed! I have heard of people painting their walls instead of simply washing them which is just crazy because you really should wash walls to prep them anyway. Thankfully many people read your blog and will see the light and I am sure your book will reach even more.

• alessandra says:

I not only like your blog because it’s so inspirational, I also like the fact that you are Swedish and I can learn so much about your culture and language! I am Italian and live/work in the UK as translator, and I’ve been studying Swedish for a while now. Reading your blog helps me improve my taste (and décor-knowledge) AND my Swedish. Brilliant! 🙂

• carol k says:

I thought I might be the only person who added to my to do list after I had done something not on the list!
    I understand about a weekend like yours. Where I go off in a direction that was not in the plan.
    Your awning is gorgeous! I love being able to see your house and garden. Our house was yellow (exterior) too-with green shutters and eggplant purple accents. Oh! and a red front door with Fleur-de-Lis! Your exterior is now wonderful. I can’t believe your “before” photos!
    You have magic in your hands!
    I love “kattlucka”. so cute.

• Marianne says:

Wow, you are really handy with everything.
    The awning looks great!
    Have a nice week.
    Bye,
    Marianne.

• I found you via Door Sixteen and love your blog! I am adding you to my bloglist. 🙂
    Very cool… My ex’s family is from Skane, so he took our son to Sweden. Emery came back with some amazing pictures and a love of Sweden. I recently helped him with a “Sweden Project” for his social studies class. And each year, I make rolls for his to take for St Lucia day. He is now in love with Swedish Butter Cookies. 🙂
    I love your blog and hope you visit mine sometime.

• Franziska says:

Din markis är fantastisk! Men tänka inte om vad du hinna inte. I don’t know whether the sentences are right. But don’t think about what you didn’t accomplish in these four days. There are some days when plans make no sense. Maybe the next weekend will be better. Maybe you got something different done in these four days. Relax or just accomplished something for your mind. I think these days are a part of our life, too.
    Många hälsningar!

• chrispito says:

Benita your blog is wonderful. I’m glad that blogging makes you happy…I love coming here to read. Even though my apartment is a tip and I’m lazy, reading about all your projects is great fun. Thanks!

• First of all, let me tell you how much I love your blog. I have picked up so many wonderful ideas that I hope to incorporate some day. They are on my to do list. I am so happy to read that I am not the only person in the world who puts items on my to do list after I have completed them. The satisfaction I get from crossing them off my list is simply staggering. Thank for making me realize I am not crazy. Perhaps I am crazy and you are right there with me? No, we are just efficient.
    Love and God bless,
    Shaun

• olie says:

We too replaced the fabric in our existing awning. Please share how you clean it. I know you will have a good idea for such an awkward item.

• I’m getting that product I mentioned after work today and if I have time will try it this weekend (or next). Beware, wet t-shirt post coming up!

• kristen says:

thanks for the information about your awning! i love it. i’m lusting after one of my own for my back door, especially since my dryer is outside, right next to it. i can’t do laundry in the rain (not that it rains that much here in los angeles, but when it does rain, it really rains).
    my issue is that i rent, so i’m trying to figure out how to do an inexpensive awning that also looks good. if anybody has any ideas, i’d love to hear ’em!

• Maybe you can fit something similar to this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125785 or this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40125786. Not sure about the water tightness though… How about a white tarp and attaching it with bungy cords if that’s at all possible?! or maybe a square umbrella http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00143344 / http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20069244 on a stand right next to the house over the dryer?

“I’m going back to work knowing there’s double the amount of stuff to do next (regular three-day) weekend AND were having company all of next Sunday.”
    benita me kind to you, be your best freind. Days like this are also needed. Don_t be your hardest boss.
    I do this to myself so i know it is not good. And I work the best in long distance trains.

• MFree says:

hello! Thanks for the kind comments over on my blog. I have been here before and thought we had similar taste. Love all your accessories and fun projects!

• Kristen says:

oooh, benita, i had no idea that ikea has a square umbrella! and those gazebos are great. i’ll check those out, too. thank you thank you thank you!

• karma98g@yahoo.com says:

Very nice blog. A little English lesson for you:
    “Bear” with me…unless, of course, you are inviting someone to get naked w/you…then by all means…”bare” with me ;).

• Haha 🙂 I Did wonder what it was but unfortunatelty the spell check didnt get my meaning. Oooops! But please feel free to bare with me too 🙂

Dear Benita don’t be so hard with you. If you had some nice time with family and friends you accomplished a lot! Maybe you just need couple of days somewhere else without doing anything then relaxing…