Fashion is everywhere

Chez Larsson

Revealing the Coffee Table

007

Drum roll, please! The coffee table Martin and Wille built is ready.

As you may have noticed we have a thing for wheels. It's just too practical not to put wheels on stuff. Two lock and two don't.

023

Still to come is a different tray for the remotes (that's a bread basket) and a cushion for Mini and Bonus in the nook to the right. Will show you next week.

We have been waiting anxiously for paint to dry (painting was my contribution to the project) and now that our creation is finally sitting in it's spot in the living-room we are all really happy with the design.

When IKEA knocks off our design, remember where you saw it first. If YOU on the other hand want to make one like ours here's the how-to:

001

So, to determine the shape of the table Martin cut a piece of plastic which we placed on our orange stools which are about the same height we wanted the coffee table to be. We tried two versions for the ends, one more rounded and one less. After some debate we went for the less.

026

This is what Martin and Wille used to get the rounded shape. It's bendy MDF. We bought a sheet ages ago for this project but had the rest just standing in the garage. We were dying to use it for something. It's seriously awesome!

028

Here are the bones of the table. Two sets of the same parts; the shape of the table and two curved end bits which have a more narrow curve to allow for the bendy to go around, then becoming flush with the sides.

029

A three sided box is set in between the curved end bits as Martin is demonstrating so well here.

032

Here you can see the basic construction, a sandwich where one of the sets has been placed on top of the box sitting on the other set. 

034

The whole thing is glued and clamped, now screws. Temporary nails were used to hold the pieces in situ while glue dried. These were removed afterwards (obviously, being temporary. Duh!).

035 

A divider and shelf were added and we screwed the wheels on to the bottom so we could check the whole thing out properly on the floor.

037

The bendy was then nailed to the frame. This was the tricky bit. Martin and Wille came up with the idea to glue and temporarily hammer in nails and bend them down (or they would pop out of the material because it's quite thin) making it look like a dental job gone bad (click on image to view more dental detail). After the glue dried they pulled the bent nails out and added nice straight ones which were then sunk.

039

All the holes and all the imperfections were filled with wood filler and sanded down.

014

After all the sanding I applied a couple of coats of primer and a couple of top coats. Let dry for ages and there it was!

99 Comments