Brainstorm #6 + Joey the Squirrel

IMG_5355

IMG_5354

Before I leave for Hong Kong and China on Monday, Martin and I have one more Brainstorm up our sleeves. I'm hoping you guys can help out on this one because it proved to be trickier than anticipated.

Here's the e-mail I received from Tina:

A friend's mother brought me some Rachel Ashwell fabric samples.  I use them to make quilts or sew two together and run ribbon through the grommets at the top to make gift bags.  The fabric samples came on these large hooks – one of which I used for belts and placed on a hook in my closet.  The wood pieces are roughly 40 cm long.  Do you have any suggestions how to use these pieces either separately or together?

When I first got this I was all excited and thought I'd come up with a zillion ideas but like I said it's a tricky one. Here are our ideas so far:

I like the idea that Tina's already using one of the rings for, to hang her belts. They could also be used for scarves and other accessories.

I'm a list maker and keep a stash of paper scraps around and if I had one of these rings I'd punch holes in the corners of my paper scraps and hook them onto the ring. I'd hang the scrap paper ring in the kitchen and always have grocery list paper handy, just tear a piece off the ring.

To keep your pet rhino in check the ring will come in handy too!

The rings would make cool bracelets. Add fat wooden beads or simply wrap the rings in ribbon.

Oh, I know, I know! Curtain tie-backs!

The wood pieces could be made into signs by turning them upside down, painting them and using ribbon to hang. Gone Fishing. Welcome. Go round the back. Please take your shoes off. Merry whatever.

I always end up using our chop sticks to stir large cans of paint. One of the wood sticks could be used for that if you (we…) can't come up with anything better.

How about drilling more holes at regular intervals and adding dowels in them, paint the whole thing and you have a shaker style hanger. Like here for kitchen towel and pot holders.

If all else fails.

So do you have any other ideas for Tina?

~

Oh, and I couldn't resist showing you these:

Baby squirrel
Newly rescued

Baby squirrel 2
Stylish bedding

IMG_5367
Getting bigger

IMG_5395
Good Morning, Tina!

IMG_5391
Residing in style

Tina has rescued little squirrel Joey who was found on the ground after falling from a tree. She's been bottle feeding him until he was big enough to eat solids and is following instruction on-line by someone who has rescued many squirrels before. Tina plans to release Joey into the wild in a local reserve once he's bigger and stronger come spring but meanwhile he lives with her in a Tiffany box with Shabby Chic bedding in a pretty and practical bird cage. He sure is living in style by the looks of it. Awwww!

Have a lovely weekend!

• Anne says:

Put the all the keys you can find on one ring and pretend you are a prison guard. Role playing adds something extra to every relationship… 😉

• tillytoo9@gmail.com says:

OR use with the wood sign project from a few weeks ago, drill a hole and have a bathroom pass like they/we had in grade school. Or the gas station bathrooms. (the huge things)

• tillytoo9@gmail.com says:

And I’m kidding. Or Martha on Crack.

• Judith says:

Those ideas are not too shabby (bad pun, sorry)!
    Little Joey is darling, and surely very grateful – Tina’s wonderful for having such a big heart.

• My Owl Barn says:

awww. That squirrel is so adorable. I am glad you guys found Joey. I’ll forward this post to my friend who runs a farm of rescued animals.

• quinn says:

Good job on the squirrel-aid, Tina! Not always an easy “save.”
    If the wood samples are totally untreated, Squirrel may wish to help you recycle them later? (Squirrels chewed through the wooden louvres on my attic window as Phase One of their “Winter Vacation Home” plans…)

• Vicki K says:

Somewhere on the i-net there is a story about a woman who rescued a squirrel and whose pregnant small dog became very attached to the squirrel. Once the dog had her puppies, the squirrel was allowed to nurse and snuggle with the puppies!!
    Those rings look rather big, but my piano playing friends use 2 or 3 of those rings to make music books. They have to separate the pages from the binding and punch holes – but they end up with pages that will lie flat on the piano and they can turn pages more easily.

• Cassie says:

Joey is a cute little squirrel! I wonder how much my cats and dogs would hate me if I went out and brought home a random squirrel. HA!
    Good ideas you’ve got here. The curtain tie-backs might be my favourite. Or it quite possibly be the nose ring. It’s a close one.

• Nina says:

OHHH! Adorable! So sweet that she took him in. I vote for the belt-holder or the rhino piercing. 😀

• Malena says:

After she uses the sticks for stirring paint, she could let the paint dry on the stick, the slip the stick back onto one of the rings. Each time she paints, use another stick, put it on the ring with the others. Label the sticks with the paint brand, color, formula, date purchased, rooms uses, etc.

• Samarra says:

LOVE THE SQUIRREL! My mom rescued one when I was a wee tot. I also have another idea for Tina!!! How about making the metal rings into napkin rings for the dining table with a little embellishment (beads, ribbon, etc). The wooden pieces could be painted in chalkboard paint and turned into name cards for the table by simply writing the guest’s name in chalk on each one!!! I’ve just had my third glass of wine and this just came to me as I type! Might need to lie down now! All the best and happy weekend to all!

• erica says:

Hejsan! vilken mysig blogg du har, och full av inspiration! Jag bloggar också rätt mycket om inredning och design, och projektet hemma just nu är att göra en fonvägg i hallen av durkplåt, vad tror du om det?
    Ha en underbar helg! Hit kommer jag återvända!
    Kram Erica