Cutting a Roller Blind to Size

Tags: ,

Our livingroom is very bright and some days we need to pull the blinds  so we are able to watch tv or even just have an afternoon conversation on the sofa. The blinds are the only window treatment we have in there so I want it to be clean and fresh.

Clean and fresh. Not so much any more. The blind on the left is the one I've been wanting to replace for a long time but because it's very long I haven't been able to find an affordable solution until a little while ago.

I was looking into having a custom made one after searching all kinds of places but that would have been way too much money. So one day I went to Bauhaus for a completely different thing and spotted these pristine, simple, white and looooong blinds an aisle away. Wohoo! I ended up not getting what I came for but a perfect length blind for the big window and a short one for the door with window.

The short one for the door wasn't actually short enough though so that's how this post came about. I had to do a bit of trimming. I used the old blind to determine the width and then simply used a craft knife to cut the excess fabric off all the way down. I used the grid on the self healing mat as a guide.

When I came to the pole at the top I got my metal saw out and sawed off the excess bit at the end.

Then I just tapped the plastic end cap on and screwed the new hardware to the wall.

I also had to trim off the end of the stick that weighs the end of the blind down to the correct size again using the metal saw although the stick was plastic.

And there it is, or rather they are, clean, fresh, new! Bliss.

• Eunie says:

Great idea Benita 🙂
    I have been trying something for two small windows in my bedroom – the morning light comes in no matter what curtains I use.
    Now I have a new project. Thanks for the idea.
    Have a great day.

• Leena says:

Looks super!
    The roller blind that you had earlier, did it used to be pure white? Has it gone yellow through the years or was it a little yellow to begin with. Just thinking if I’d get similar, how often would I need to change them? I’m still pondering between roller blinds and those foldable curtains.

• If I remember correctly they were a little off white but no way as yellow as this. These have lasted me 12 years but I actually cut them down lengthwise a few years ago and did a new seam for the pole as we don’t need that long blinds. They probably started lookin a little dingy after about five years, started to really bother me after eight, cut them and now four years later I finally have new ones. If you have shorter windows than mine you can easily switch blinds more often at not a great expense.

• Vicki K says:

How fresh and great looking – I love your “get ‘er done” attitude.

• Silus Grok says:

It’s lovely!
    You may want to consider finding a metal beaded pull-chord, though. They’re heavier, so they drape nicely, and the metal beads reflect light nicely.
    There are numerous vendors — including Amazon.com — but this one seemed to be specialized enough to offer a wide selection:

• Wow, that’s a great idea! I actually have yards of ball chain at home. Will have to check out if that will work!

Ikea has all kinds od sizes – and you can shorten them easily, even me without being handy at all! Plain white, easy care.

• Lori in OR says:

Love it. You make everything seem so easy! It is encouraging to those of us who tend to put things off because they seem too intimidating. I need to get some blinds up on the south-facing windows of my house ASAP!

• Erin says:

Benita doll – were these fabric or vinyl? Any idea of the brand, etc.? Currently have a BED SHEET (*blush*) pinned to our window in the living room… removed the old dirty/ugly vinyl blinds to paint and can’t bear to put them back up and get too “comfortable” with them again, and have the same issue with all of our odd window sizes! Thank you! Erin

• They are not cotton. I was worried they would look really synthetic as they are of polyester or similar but they look great! They didn’t have a brand name on them. The tube they came in basically said “Blind” :). Try Ikea’s Enje though, many fellow bloggers use them and love them!