Hellmann’s Event

IMG_3031

So, here’s the event I participated in last Tuesday. All of you Americans probably know all about Hellmann’s mayo but over here it’s not a well known brand and they want to change that. So they invited a bunch of bloggers to set up an Easter dinner and eat it too. I was in charge of setting the table, decorating, crafting etc. I didn’t actually set anything up before arrival, but just used what was available.

IMG_3040

The location was beautiful, an old industrial building in the Stockholm port area. Concrete floors, huge windows, cast iron, it had it all if you like that kind of thing.

IMG_3045

Tablecloths were available but we decided to keep it simple. The beautiful dishes and glasses are by Birgitta Watz who’s studio we were actually in. Talk about inspiring surroundings to work in.

IMG_3078

IMG_3091

IMG_3132

The invited bloggers all cooked dishes using Hellmann’s mayo which was interesting since us Swedes don’t usually use mayo in desserts or bread. Love the cake topping with the broken Kinder eggs. Will need to steal that idea when I bake my next Easter cake. Which is probably never.

IMG_3113

It was a veritable feast. Five food bloggers with at least a couple of dishes each + some made by a Hellmann’s chef. This wasn’t even all of it.

IMG_3127

My favorites were the fish dishes, especially the horseradish, shrimp & egg in a lettuce leaf thingy by Mary on the right. Her blog, by the way, is b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. I also met this hilarious guy who will soon be a published cook book author. Way to go Mattias!

IMG_3129

As soon as I was done with my thing and it got later I got homesick (I know, I’m pathetic) and was one of the first to leave. A video was being shot during the event and if I don’t look too much of a dork in it I’ll share it before the end of the week.

• I knew the styling looked familiar – great industrial chic Benita. How great do those empty mayo jars look? Did the cake taste good?

• Susan says:

My dad in the States (Alaska) LOVES Hellman’s!! The tables looked beautiful – well done.

• Heléna says:

was there mayo in the chocolate cake? – it looks fantastic!

• There was, there was mayo in all the desserts! Apparently Hellmann’s isn’t AS mayoish as our Swedish brand names, it’s whiter and less acidic if you ask me.

• Älvan says:

Beautiful styling! I really hope you’ll decide to post the video.

• tinajo says:

Lots of things to eat – that I like! 🙂 Thanks for your input, I do generally agree that less is more – but I have to say that the pattern I had is a favourite. I´ll have it back one of these days, haha! 😀

• Polly says:

Oh wow that looks amazing. The Easter cake is beautiful! We love Hellmanns here in the UK too, but mostly just as a condiment rather than using it to cook with (especially desserts!)

• Anne says:

Oh my! Look at you – you party-mingling-famous-blogger you. Can’t wait to hear all about it when we meet. When you get back from the big apple that is. (Do you notice the tone of order, not request, in my writing… :))

• Ariane says:

Those pictures are gorgeous ! Good job Benita. Take care.

• Vi får planera in nåt snaaaaart!

Great job Benita!
    “The invited bloggers all cooked dishes using Hellmann’s mayo which was interesting since us Swedes don’t usually use mayo in desserts or bread. ”
    Desserts with mayo? Yuck.

• This American has never heard of using mayo in desserts or bread either. The idea frightens me. Great styling tho!

• devil says:

Oh, you did a fantastic job, Benita. It all looks so lovely.
    The food looks delicious, too. Mayonnaise is surprisingly versatile, so it doesn’t gross me out at all that it’s in the cake. Totally depends on the recipe.

• Connie says:

Does mayonnaise really still come in glass jars in Sweden? All the US brands I know switched to plastic years ago, meaning I have no replacements if I ever break any of the jars I’ve collected since the 1970s to store dry pantry items. Canning jars work but aren’t the same size or shape. Canning jars also have embossed designs on the sides.

• It does. We’re pretty good at recycling over here so maybe that’s why?

• Marcia M says:

Here, mayo is a must have in every kitchen and I think i’m the only person who doesn’t like it, but i’m pretty sure i’ve never heard of it in desserts. And Hellmann’s ( and other brands )come in plastic jars too.

• Nancy says:

Using mayo in desserts and bread isn’t something that is common or promoted here in Canada either. Interesting use of the Kinder eggs as cake decoration, but is something the Americans won’t be able to take advantage of as they are illegal there; something about a choking hazard for young children. There have been people stopped at the border and threatened with hefty fines for trying to import them into the US.
    I used to work with someone who loved Kinder Eggs and would often treat everyone in the office with a Kinder Egg. We would carefully crack open the egg leaving it intact and then save the chocolate for the office party where we would use the chocolate as mini shooters filled with chocolate liquour. Mmm, best office parties ever!

• Heather P. says:

I can completely attest to Hellman’s working very well with fish. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to use it in desserts…it just sounds wrong to me. 🙂
    Looks like a fun party, and even as someone who grew up with the stuff in her fridge, I’m surprised to see all the different ways people found to use it!

• Mary H says:

I agree – this is another American who has never heard of mayo in desserts or bread. Blech!

• Anna says:

Rigtigt snyggt, vilken lokal dessutom!

• Donna says:

I have to confess to making “mayonnaise” cake all the time. I found the recipe in the Test Kitchen Cookbook. It just replaces the eggs and oil with mayo and comes out moist and delicious.
    Donna (in America)

• Renee says:

No, it’s good…you can’t even taste it. I use it all the time in cakes. Instead of adding the suggested ingredients to the cake mix, replace with 1 Cup mayo, 1 Cup water and 3 eggs….it will come out light and fluffy.

• Lisa says:

Yes, Donna! I was going to say that mayo is basically just egg and oil, so not a big deal to use it in a dessert. As it is emulsified (lots of air dispersed between all the molecules) it makes baked goods quite light and airy.
    That said, I never think to use it that way. 😉
    Lisa (California)

• Hxx says:

Completely wild idea to me – I might mix it with some egg for sandwiches, or tomato ketchup for prawn cocktail, but mostly it is a dollop on my plate!! Been ‘eating’ it forever but never knew you could cook with it!

• Catherine says:

I was wondering why we couldn’t buy Kinder eggs here!

• RC in NY says:

Another American weighing in to say no mayo used in desserts or baking in our house either, altho I recall my mother-in-law had a “mayonnaise chocolate cake” recipe that was pretty yummy. 🙂
    As for Hellman’s (which Americans on the West Coast know as Best Foods Mayo) -it is made with soybean oil. In the US, unless you are buying organic (which Hellman’s is not), virtually all soybeans are now genetically modified. Don’t know what the laws are regarding GMO (genetically modified organisms) in Sweden – aren’t GMO-containing products legally required to be labelled? I hate to see the spread of the Standard American Diet (appropriately abbreviated SAD!) to places that historically have been healthy eaters of whole fresh foods.
    Plenty of organic jarred mayo in stores here in the US (in glass jars for those who like me don’t want their food absorbing toxins from plastic containers). But we use mayo in our house so seldom that the jar would go bad before it was close to used up and I would end up throwing it away. I hate waste so I tried making my own. And was pleasantly surprised to find it’s not difficult at all if you have a food processor! And the taste is amazing – nothing like the stuff in jars. I will never eat store-bought mayo again!
    That said, your table setting was lovely, Benita, and I hope you show us the video. We are all dorks to one degree or another!

It will come out light and fluffy also with adding plain creamy joghurt…;-). Just baked some chocolate cake that way.
    We have also (Germany) jars for many products – joghurt, mayo, tomato sauce, pesto etc. I don’t seer much plastic actually.
    “Yes, Donna! I was going to say that mayo is basically just egg and oil, so not a big deal to use it in a dessert”
    I prefer real eggs (from happy chickens – organic etc.), real butter and so on.

• ~Michelle says:

???
    I am American and I buy Kinder eggs here. They are harder to find, being imported, but I have bought them. Is making them illegal a very recent development?

• ~Michelle says:

I never thought of using mayon in a cake — but I have replaced the egg and oil with canned pumpkin to good effect. Makes it very dense and filling.
    Hm, I will have to try the mayo thing.
    The table looks beautiful, so do the photos!

• Laura in Seattle says:

You Swedes eat healthily. Mayo is a slippery slope, adding lots of fat to the diet. Just a word of warning!
    Your pictures are delightful! I’m sure it was all delicious.

• Tara Jane says:

I will third that, don’t be fooled, Mayo is NOT commonly used here in the US in Desserts or bread.

• Shelley says:

Mayo in cake is awesome..I used to make banana bread in a bundt pan that way..always came out nice!

• Robin says:

On the west coast we call it Best Foods mayo. My favorite two uses are for a BLT sandwich and an American dip of artichoke hearts, Parmesean cheese, mayo, and greeb chilies….. Heated in the oven.

• Josseline says:

Benita, your table was beautiful! Regarding mayo cakes, I have heard of them, as well as cakes made with canned tomato soup or Coca Cola. But I have never tasted any of them, and I’ve lived in the US for a very long time.
    The trip to NYC is getting near. I hope you and Wille will have a wonderful time. Can’t wait to hear about what you bring back to Sweden. BTW, how do Mini and Bonus handle your absences? Who takes care of them while you are gone?

• Monnah says:

Spännande! Jag gillar din dukning. Väldigt mycket du!

• Martin wil be house- and pet sitting while we’re gone. I have the sweetest neighbors who have also offered but since Bonus is such a wimp it feels better to have someone there who they both know well :).

• Nancy says:

It’s my understanding that the Kinder Egg ban has been in effect since at least 1997. The fines are $2500 per egg and it was in the news that someone who was unaware of the situation, tried to bring 6 Kinder Eggs across the border and faced fines totaling $15,000! Michelle, I don’t know how your candy source is able to bring them into the US, but they can cause big delays if you are detained at the border.

• Heather says:

I live in the northeastern US (Pennsylvania) and mayo in chocolate cakes is common. The setting and video are lovely. The weather is warming here so hopefully you will have a warm NYC trip.