Power Walking

IMG_4724

No more PF. It’s all about PW!

PF? PW? If you’ve followed my blog for a while you know about my PF – plantar fascitis. It’s basically a foot condition where your heel/s starts hurting (like hell). I got it almost two years ago and blame running up and down a ladder in flip-flops while renovating the outside of the house.

The pain was at its worst in the fall of 2011 where I could barely make it to work on a few of occasions. I walked like a 90 year old, slooooowly and treading caaaarefully. So not my normal pace.

Anyway, it’s taken almost two years of custom insoles, resting my feet (and so the rest of me) until I noticed a vast improvement late this spring. I noticed I hardly had any pain at all and I could even start wearing shoes without the insoles occasionally and not be in pain afterwards. Yay!

This meant I could also start exercising again! It’s been surprisingly hard not being able to exercise. I had no idea I’d miss it as much as I did and I was very limited as to what I was able to do. We had a a cross trainer for a while which helped (it’s quite low impact) but it was SO boring. So basically I haven’t done much exercising at all lately apart from riding my bike fairly short distances.

So when I realized I could probably start exercising again I chose PW – power walking. There are a number of reasons for that choice. 1) I’m not in the best of shape after two years of basically non-exercising so I want to start out slowly by walking and hopefully progress to jogging and running. 2) There are awesome walking/running paths (lit during the dark months) in the woods along the sea nearby. 3) Most importantly; I can listen to pod casts while walking. That’s the best part; instead of just walking which is, lets be honest a bit boring, I listen to pod casts where the listening part is the motivator which makes me want to go walking! For example this past three day midsummer’s weekend I’ve been listening to four hours of pod casts. Yup, that means four hours of walking at a fast pace! Each walk is 80 minutes (15-20 minutes to get there, 40-50 minutes on the hilly path and 15-20 minutes back) and I try to keep the pace up so I really get a proper workout. Hey, I even got so excited at one point there in the woods that I just HAD to run for a while!

It feels so good to be able to exercise again. Especially since bread has crept it’s way back into my diet :).

• Peggy says:

That’s great, Benita! I’m so pleased that you’re on the beyond-side of improved! My plantar fasciitis is in remission but if I don’t watch it, it creeps back until I dial back my activities. I envy that you’re beyond that. Good for you!
    On the subject of podcasts, are you taking suggestions? Assuming you are–:-)–have you tried Radio Lab? How about ‘The Moth’? And one of my favorites is one from Canada–‘Definitely Not The Opera’.
    Enjoy your power walks! Bread is so worth it!

• Peggy – Thanks for the suggestions! So far I’ve only listened to Swedish ones but as soon as I’m running low on my favorites of those I’ll look yours up!

• tinajo says:

I love power walking and mix it with my usual runs – good combination! 🙂

• Jill says:

Congratulations on your remission! That must have been a hard two years. Like Peggy, I love Radio lab and the Moth. I would add Fresh Air to the list as well. Eat bread and be well:)

• Sandra says:

Bra jobbat!! Härligt att komma igång igen, visst är det!
    Täntke höra vad du har för tips när det gäller podcast? Vilka lyssnar du på och tycker är bra?
    Önskar dig en fantastisk sommar!

• Sandra – Jag lyssnar på “Hannah och Amanda”, “Alex och Sigge” och “Värvet”. Gillar alla tre massor!

• Jag podcastpromenerar varje dag jag med. Genom att sätta uppspelningshastigheten på 1,5 gånger hastigheten eller till och med dubbel fart (om det är bra ljudkvalitet och programledarna pratar tydligt från början) så är det lätt att hålla tempot uppe. 🙂

• Mattias – Det råkade jag göra en gång men då lät Alex Schulman som en smurf :).

• Andy says:

Go, go, go, go Benita!!!!

• Carin says:

So glad you’re in remission. PF is so darn painful. I got an injection a few years ago and that has helped, but was very painful to do too. Good luck with the power walking. I’m planning on starting that soon too, when I gety some more help with the kiddos at the weekends.

• Heather P. says:

Great to hear you’re back at it! I’ve been sidelined for the past two weeks from my daily hikes and bike rides, and I didn’t realize how much I’d miss it! That’s cool that you have a lot of trails to walk on – I kinda wish we had more here too!

• Sonia says:

Hi Benita
    If you are a podcast fan check out this one
    http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/podcast.htm or look up Travel with Rick Steves on the itunes podcast page. I listen to podcasts every day and I like this one. Enjoy and good luck with the PW 🙂

• Thanks Sonia, I’ll check him out!

• Amy says:

Hey, after so many years of great tips from you I am thrilled to finally have one to share back! – PT can be helped by rolling the underside of your foot over a tennis ball. Start gently and build up, you’ll feel the tendons on the underside of your foot loosen.

• Älvan says:

Jag kan rekommendera P3 dokumentär också – finns massor av dokumentärer om allt möjligt och de är nästan alla intressanta och välgjorda.

• Älvan – Jag har hört att de är bra, det blir nästa tror jag!

• Amy – I tried that and a bunch of other things too but it mae matters worse and just resting has worked the best :).

• Michelle says:

Hi I had this as well for a couple of years. I tried cortisone injections which did not help at all. One time when I was replacing my sneakers (Asics a good brand) they were unavailable. I chose another cheaper pair with the heel piece seperate (hmmm hard to explain) I walk twice a day for about 40 minutes each time (I have dogs!!) From day 2 of wearing these new sneakers the pain disappeared completely and 4 years down the track has not come back!

• Vad härligt för dig. Det är skönt att kunna rör sig igen, sambon har opererat hälen och det var hemskt innan och just efter men nu är han som ny. Har startat träna igen jag med och det gör skillnad. Tack för dina fina inlägg här och lycka till med träningen!

• kristi says:

Good for you! I’ve just started doing the same thing. Even though I don’t know half the people he interviews, Alec Baldwin’s Here’s the Thing podcast is very interesting and entertaining. I wonder if it is for folks not living in America, but hey, you are a New York-lover, so you might just love it.

• Anmarie says:

Hi Benita. I’ve read your blog for years, but this is my first comment. I too have suffered for the last 6 months with PF. It only went away when I started to eat low carb high fat. Do you think your recent grain-free diet might have helped your recovery?
    Thank you for all the inspiration and eye candy over the years. Someday I hope to visit your city.

• Heather says:

I second Alec Baldwin’s Here’s the Thing podcast as well as Rick Steve’s. Rick Steve’s voice is so calming. I also like TBTL, the Moth, Livewire and Splendid Table.
    U Look Hungry is a food, culture, lifestyle podcast from Brooklyn.
    My husband suffered from PF and a physical therapist friend and my doctor cousin both said it usually lasts 18 months and cold rolling actions such as rolling the bottom of your foot over a frozen orange juice can does wonders. Almost to the day, my husband’s disappeared after 18 months.

• Anmarie – I have to say I don’t think so. Apparently the average healing time when you don’t do anything other than rest is 18 months to two years which is spot on. I ate low carb for 18 months until very recently and it didn’t speed things up.