The Lawn

IMG_3668

My poor lawn. And poor me. Last year I redid the back yard as you can see in this post

IMG_3904

The harsh and  longer than usual winter (we didn’t really get any spring at all this year, it went straight from winter to summer) really took it’s toll on my lawn.

IMG_4042

Quite a few weeks in I realized that I would have to basically start over on the lawn in the areas that I re-sodded last year, they were just not catching on like I had hoped.

IMG_4081

The areas that needed the most attention were exactly those I re-sodded last year but I figured the whole lawn could do with some scarifying (LOVE that word!) so I called in the help of the guys that did my deck last year and helped me with the lawn and had them deliver top dressing soil and their scarifying tool.

IMG_4083

After the lawn got its once over with the scarifyer (which cuts through the lawn vertically and divides thhe grass roots) I spread ut the sacks of top dressing evenly over the lawn.

IMG_4084

Then I cut an opening at the ends of the sacks and dragged them along and afterwards used my broom to spread the top dressing out.

IMG_4104

After that I added grass seeds to the worst off areas and kept it all moist over a couple of weeks time. Unfortunately we had NO rain during this time and I had to keep watering every night which felt pretty wasteful.

IMG_4144

IMG_4146
When not much was happening I covered the worst off areas with garden fleece pegging the corners down with tent stakes and rocks. A certain Miss Mini enjoyed that part a lot.

IMG_4332

And here’s where we are at right now. There are still some very bare patches but after fertilizing with bone meal it’s all looking so much better. I think I will still add some more grass seeds in some of the bare areas and hope for a bit of rain occasionally for them to germinate but if you look at the lawn now from a frog’s perspective it’s actually not looking THAT bad.

Ps. Wille graduates today! Yay, I'm so excited for him!

• Susan says:

Congratulations to your son! Enjoy this wonderful day.
    And your lawn looks much improved – good work.
    Finally, love the kitty under the cover. So cute.

• Amazing difference. Hope Willie has a great day xo

• Congratulations to Wille! Nice results with the lawn 🙂

• Maja says:

Gratulerer Wille! The lawn looks great now, good job!

• Ariane says:

Good job with the lawn ! It looks a lot better 🙂 and congrats to your son too. Take care !

• Katariina says:

Congratulations to both Wille and you!
    The lawn looks so much better already! Hopefully it gets stronger and will survive next winter. If it doesn’t, I warmly recommend “roll lawn” . 🙂

• Katrine says:

Congratulations to Wille (if he´s already done, if not: Good luck!)!
    That´s quite a difference with the lawn, unbelievable this worked within weeks!
    Dear Benita, I have a question, not garden related: I fell in love with the white candle holder on your dinner table a while ago. Do you maybe now if it still is available somewhere?
    Greetings from Hamburg
    Katrine

• Judith says:

Looks much better! And the tulips (which sort of look like narcissus off there in the distance, but that doesn’t sound like you) are so pretty!
    A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Wille. R’s son is graduating too, on Friday. That’s our last kid done with high school, woohoo!

• Katrine – It’s from IKEA!
    Katariina – I SO wish I would have done that.

• Zosia says:

Congratulations to the grown up Willie and to the proud Mom!
    The lawn – a lot of work, but is looking so much better now. We can send you some rain from Warsaw. We’ve had more than enough this spring.

• Sandy (USA) says:

Hey there … congratulations to Wille! Not sure about you, if you’re anything like this Sagittarius, be prepared with lots of tissues! The crocodile tears came flooding as soon as I saw my youngest in his graduation cap and gown. The lawn looks great! I know this is gonna sound foul, but manure is tremendously helpful for grass. Mixing it with the soil then adding grass seeds. My next door neighbor does landscaping and highly recommended it for us … IT WORKS! Stinky though for a little while! Have a great day at the graduation!

• minna says:

Looks just great. Have a nice summer!

• Missy says:

Hooray for Wille!

• Denise says:

looks great! we have an area at our boat club that needs this type of attention so you have inspired me.
    i notice you use an electric mower? with a yard so small can i recommend you try a reel mower (that’s what we call it in the US)? i have a small lawn too & switched to one about 4 years ago & LOVE IT! very old school but since it’s newer, it’s lighter than the versions my dad grew up with. the way the blades cut, it’s actually better for your lawn too. and something so satisfying about the “whirring” of the blades, very meditational! if you have a chance to try one, do so, i think you’d love it!

• Peggy says:

Your back yard looks FABulous, Benita! Lots of work but not you get to enJOY it!
    And what a special, special day today is for you, Martin, and Willie! Congratulations all around–but esPEcially to Willie!

• Julie says:

Very nice! Great progress!

• Laura in Seattle says:

Is “scarifying” the same thing as lawn thatching or aeration? It’s a great word! Lawns can be a total pain in the neck. Yours is much improved but I think I would have started over with a roll lawn. 🙂 (I’m impatient.)
    Congrats to Willie!

• M.E. says:

My daughter’s youngest is graduating this spring, too. my daughter says she herself is “so OVER high school”!! Congratulations, Wille!! Enjoy your new status!!

• Loretta says:

Wow, that is really an improvement. It looks great. And congratulations to Wille!

• Debbie from Chicago says:

Congratulations to Wille! Kids sure do grow up way too fast.
    Our little yard at our cabin really suffered this winter. We had an ice storm in November and then it snowed all winter. The grass really looks horrible. We thatched it and reseeded it so hopefully we will have lots of rain to water it.

• ana v. says:

CONGRATULATIONS to Wille.
    The winter was long here in Portugal too. This time of year the temperatures already tend to be high and are well below the average 🙁

• Heather P. says:

Congratulations to Wille!
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your lawn! It does look a million times better!

• Jiru says:

Congrats, Wille! What’s next for you? I wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors. Maybe you should apply to schools in New York? 🙂
    The lawn is looking fabulous!

• Luna says:

Love the lawn and especially the tulips… Frog’s perspective had me laughing out loud. Congratulations to Wille.

• Ramona K says:

Congratulations to both of you Benita. Now begins another phase in your lives – exciting.
    You really have improved your lawn! When we had to drain around our house the digging machines used our lawn as a turning point. You can imagine what it looked like. I truly believed we would have to start from scratch. Well, it took two seasons and you would never know. Mind you, I took the opportunity to create gravel paths and a much smaller round lawn. Now it´s fun to look after.
    Warmest greetings from Uppsala
    Ramona

• Jill says:

Congratulations to Wille! Would replacing the lawn with plants be an option for you? We replaced our front lawn with mostly native plants, and I have really noticed a big increase in the wildlife out there.

• Gül says:

I am happy to see your hard work paid off and hopefully will progress even for better.
    But it seems that Miss Mini -once again- stole the spotlights 😉
    Best wishes for Wille! Will there be a celebration for him?

Much much better!

• Gül – There was, I’ll show some photos next week!
    Jill – I prefer a lawn and also attracting wildlife would just give Mini and Bonus a better hunting grounds 🙂
    Laura – I think it is!
    Jiru – No firm plans yet but New York would be a dream 🙂
    Denise – I have a reel mower too which I used a lot last year but I find it hard to cut the youngest grass with it since I don’t want to walk on it much. With the electric mower I can stand on older turf and more easily push the very light weight electric mower over the barer patches.

• Denise says:

you are so right about the youngest grass. they don’t handle the thing/young stuff well at all or anything that’s gets too tall. it’s funny cuz i had no problem picturing you with a reel mower! haha!

• Lisa says:

Congratulations to Wille!!
    What an improvement on the lawn! Love the visual of “a frog’s perspective”! 🙂

• Josseline Wood says:

Congratulations to both of you. As you know you have an army of fans standing by wondering what the next chapter will bring.
    We do not have a lawn as we are on a wooded lot, so do not have your issues, but those trees keep me busy with raking and cleaning pretty much year-round. 🙂

• devil says:

Yippee for Wille!!!
    Your hard work on the lawn has paid off – it looks fab! 🙂

• ~Michelle says:

Congrats to Wille! We have watched him grow up on here!
    Will you consider something else for next year? It seems like a lot of money and work to get your lawn going and then it only lasts one season…

• Michelle – It’s not supposed to last just one season so hopefully next winter won’t be as bad 🙂

• ~Michelle says:

You are in a different temperature zone but maybe this thread (and the comments) will give you some helpful suggestions?

• Jackie B says:

Looks a lot better! Hopefully the seeds grow quickly.
    I’ve dealt with some similar patches and ended up replacing those areas with sod.

• Emma says:

Enhorabuena Willie!!!
    Your garden look amaizing! Crazy weather this year …. here iin Barcelona is mild and rainy .