First Macaron Attempt

IMG_6569

As you know I’m in bake mode and I’ve been wanting to try making macarons.

IMG_6568

I used a coin as a template to draw the round shapes on my baking paper which I then turned over so I wouldn’t get pencil on my macarons.

IMG_6571

I mixed the ingredients of a basic macaron with a bit of lemon added to it and piped the mixture on to the circles. I know, not the prettiest sight, it was all kind of runny…

IMG_6573

They did puff up nicely in the oven though but sunk slightly after I got them out. And they are browner than they’re supposed to be…

IMG_6577

And some are double. Luckily I could pair those together with the lemon white chocolate lemon cream in between.

IMG_6579

Not the prettiest and most even macarons you ever saw but Wille sure approved.

IMG_6581

As a first attempt I give them 3 out of 5.

• Susan says:

I give them a 4 – they look tasty!

• Anette H says:

mums, de ser goda ut.
    Nu med det nya året i intågande börjar jag fundera på almenackor. Visst hade du ett inlägg från det gamla huset om en familjealmenacka till väggen? Kan inte hitta det.
    Hur gör ni nu? Hade varit roligt att veta om du uppdaterat almenackan (och “tänket” kring kalendrar osv) på något sätt, nu när ni bara är två.
    tack för en underbar blogg! Ser fram mot varje inlägg och tycker det är helt ok att de inte kommer varje dag. Hellre kvalitet än kvantitet!!

• MareePSasja says:

Benita, my first attempt was only marginally better than yours. Did you bang the tray on the counter before putting them in the oven? It’s supposed to knock any air pockets out so that they then rise evenly and don’t sink again (I believe).
    Despite some flaws mine tasted good – like yours… but it was a lot of effort and I confess to feeling a little deflated (if you excuse the pun!). I haven’t found time to have a second attempt.
    There is a lot of information online about letting your eggwhites ‘age’ overnight etc etc… maybe it just takes practice!
    Yours look fine for a first attempt 🙂

• Anette – Inför 2014 har jag skippat papperskalender, hör och häpna! Tänker använda Google kalendern helt enkelt, får se hur det blir :). Den kalendern jag hackade för ett par år sen var Stora Väggkalendern från Almanacksförlaget. Förra året hade jag en familjekalender från Ordning o reda med tre kolumner som var bra, en kolumn vardera till Wille och mig och så en till blogginläggen.
    MareePSasja – There was no banging in my recipe so I’ll try that next time :).

• Maja says:

They look yummy, but I would have used some food colour…I did use pink with my first ones! 🙂 But its hard to get ground almonds here in Norway…I can only buy them at health stores for a lot of money or at pandurohobby! 🙂

• SARA says:

TWIN MACARONS 😀
    LOVELYYYYYYYY

• Márcia says:

They look tasty and very organic!

• Michelle of Montreal says:

Infinity macarons! I can’t bake, so I applaud you for even attempting them.

• Nancy in Canada says:

I think you did very well for a first attempt. Perhaps the eggs could have been beaten just a little bit longer so that they hold up the almonds and sugar a bit more. Some recipes for macaroons call for a pinch of cream of tarter to be added to the egg whites which help them to hold the volume of air that you have whipped into them and they don’t deflate as much. I’d love to see how a second batch turns out… as would Willi I’m sure;)

• Sage says:

Good for a first attempt! Beating the egg whites a little longer would stiffen the batter and help the piped macarons hold their shape better. Also, your recipe link mentions letting them sit for 20 minutes after piping – this is really important and 30 minutes would be even better as they definitely need to form a light crust on top before baking. Do make them again and as mentioned, add a drop of color if you have some. Lastly, if you have an oven thermometer check to be sure the temperature stays as you’ve set it – just a little too hot would over bake them.

• adesigndiary says:

Benita..I think you are fabulously brave! I cannot bake to save my life..the last cake I baked burnt black (I mixed up the temperatures…who does that!!!) so these look incredible to me…well done!!

• Loretta says:

Wow! I think they look fabulous!

• Luna says:

I would still eat them! they are like little pillows of cloud in the mouth. Yum 🙂

• Frances Fogerson says:

A full-page pop-up ad for Aveeno (featuring actress Jennifer Anniston) covers the entire screen of your blog until I hit the “close” button. Wasn’t sure you had authorized this since “Young House Love” had this same problem.

• Frances – I just read that on their blog and I also haven’t authorized that so I’ll look into blocking it! Thanks for letting me know! You can probably only see it in the States which is why I haven’t noticed myself.

• Josseline Wood says:

They look wonderful.

• Gemma says:

I am a pretty experienced baker and find macarons incredibly finicky. So many variables that can throw off your product! I haven’t attempted them in months, but you have inspired me!

• kory says:

bravo benita, these look very tasty and I admire the courage since macarons are a bit infamous for their trickiness…
    I never did attempt making them, but for the moment I do, i have a recipe bookmarked with all the myths about demons making your macarons fail accounted for 🙂 http://bravetart.com/recipes/Macarons