We don't have a fancy built in micro-wave. Ours is a cheapo 75 dollar one and it only has two buttons, any more or my tech challenged husband (by choice, the less he knows the less he has to deal with...)would not be able to operate it.
Because it's free standing on the counter we are able to use the space on top for corralling kitchen clutter; grocery list, pen, stray paperclip, recipe etc. You get the picture.
An array of different trays have graced the space but as I wanted change and couldn't find what I wanted in any stores (wrong size, wrong color, wrong price, too high edges for Mini who likes to sit up there etc etc) I decided to make my own.
Said and done. A scrap piece of thin MDF, some left over trim, a bit of wood glue and a lick of paint and there is is! Tray chic indeed if I do say so myself.
Here's the how-to if you want to make your own:
Measure the size you want your tray to be and cut a piece of wood, in this case MDF, for the bottom in that size minus x2 the depth of your molding on each side.
Cut your molding at 45 degree angles using a mitre saw. You want your pieces to look v-shaped so you need to change the direction of your cut alternate times.
Here the bottom and sides are cut, ready to be glued together.
I decided to clamp the whole thing together with wood glue and not use nails at all but if you don't have these many clamps you can nail and glue, be sure to snip the tips off your nails though when nailing in these thin moldings or the wood may crack.
After the glue dries, sand the whole thing with a fine grit sand paper. You can do this by hand but I used my beloved mouse sander. After sanding wipe the whole thing down with a damp cloth.
Prop the tray on two pieces of trim so it won't stick to the surface when being primed and painted. I used white primer and then added two coats of the same paint I used in the bedroom. I would normally use oil based paint for a project like this but decided to try this latex paint simply because I had some left over and it was the right color. I added a couple of coats of spray varnish to the top. Underneath I stuck rubber dots at the four corners to prevent the tray from slipping.