For years I’ve been wanting to make a square wreath for the front door and this year I finally did it!
The wreath actually started out with me buying two very cheap grave decorations (I know, a bit morbid) on sale the week after All Saints Day. I then picked those apart and which left me with gorgeous lush pine branches. Not to mention a bunch of giant pine cones. More on those in a later post.
I already tried making a wreath base many years ago for that door using four sticks and wiring them together at the corners and tying greenery to it but it wouldn’t hold together and ended up a big wonky mess.
This time I used a bit of very scruffy plywood which I cut like a frame to fit outside the window frame. To be able to cut the inside square I drilled holes at the corners and stuck the jigsaw in there and cut between them.
The plywood I had was painted white and as any gaps between the greenery would show against the black door I used black tape all around the frame. This also made the frame nicer to handle as plywood splinters when you saw it and this way I skipped all the sanding.
Here it it, the frame all taped out. As you can see the plywood I used had a piece missing at the bottom but I wasn’t bothered as it would be covered by pine clippings.
I cut the pine branches into smaller pieces and simply stapled them to the frame. Super easy!
First I did the top, the then bottom and last the sides. At the end I added some smaller pieces in any gaps.
I hung the finished wreath on L- hooks which I screwed carefully into the door above the window. I also added two L- hooks at the bottom of the frame to hold it down and to prevent the frame from flapping about when the door is opened.
I was a little worried if my construction would be strong enough but the wreath’s been up over a week now and it still looks great. Looks cute from the inside too.
I can tell my neighbors are a little annoyed that once again I’ve started decorating “too early”. I think it stresses them out. Haha!