I’ve already shown you one part of this closet make over here and while Wille was away in London the other week I took the opportunity to revamp the part above.
As you can see Wille hasn’t completely inherited my organizing gene but I figured it would be nicer to keep the space organized if it looked nicer.
So for the first 50+ years this closet has been bare wood and Masonite inside. To me it just cried out to be made over.
Aside from sprucing it up for good looks it also needed some minor repairs due to cracked drawer fronts etc.
The drawer front was an easy fix with some wood glue and a couple of clamps.
Then I gave the inside, drawer fronts, drawer tops and undersides of shelves three coats of paint. I used primer for the first coats and a top coat of wood paint.
For the insides of the drawers and for the shelves I used wallpaper. I was a offered a free roll of my choice of Mr. Perswall wallpaper over a year ago and initially intended to use it on the headboard wall in Wille’s tiny bedroom but then decided against it because I worried that it would be too busy.
For the drawers I measured the inside bottom and sides and cut pieces accordingly. I also pre-folded the large piece so it would be easier to insert. The left side needed a separated strip because the wallpaper wasn’t wide enough.
This wallpaper doesn’t need to presoak the wallpaper paste so I could cover the inside with wallpaper paste and then immediately insert my precut pieces.
Then it was just a matter of covering the shelves too which was super easy, just a rectangle that goes on top of the pasted shelves, over the edge of the shelf and then about 5 cm (2 inches) on to the underside.
After leaving the closet door open for 24 hours+ to dry out completely Wille’s stuff went back I inside. By this time Wille was back home and was pleased to see the inside revamped and mended.
This was over a week ago and let me tell you right away that this is not the state of these piles anymore, haha!