So the saga of the stairs continues. One of the problems I encountered when choosing what to do with them is that although the landing in front of the bathroom has oak parquet, the nose is still pine. I considered replacing it with oak but realized that I’d have to semi dismantle the whole staircase to do so because the uprights rest on and are built into it.
While I was staining the handrails back in September I decided to have a go at the orange pine of that nose too, I figured I had nothing to lose. Actually in these photos it looks like the pine is a pretty good match to the yellowed oak but IRL it’s a different story I’m afraid. The pine felt really orange.
Anyway it was just a matter of lightly sanding the varnish on the nose. Not necessary to remove it all because I used a stain + varnish in-one product, but just so it would get a better grip
After sanding I taped off the area so I wouldn’t get the stain on the oak.
Then I just did a light coat with a brush dipped in the product.
Here’s the result. Again it looks browner in the photo than IRL but it’s actually a good match . At least the color is deeper and richer than the orange of the pine.
The nose now also matches the stained handrails which is really nice.
Again, this project has dragged on forever and these photos were taken back in September but I’ve really been so torn between what to do with the stairs and also in how to best share the whole process with you.
To be continued.