So I promised you an update on the wake-up light I got from Phillips a couple of months ago.
Here’s the verdict:
- It wakes me up with music instead of a buzzer. My wake-up song of choice is Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel. Lovely!
- It charges my phone. I LOVE that I always have a fully charged phone in the morning!
- Waking up to a lighter room is awesome and on weekends when I can sleep in a little I wake up before the song starts from the light alone.
- Despite the light I still like need to snooze and you can only snooze for 30 minutes, then it shuts off. I may be wrong here because I’m so groggy in the morning but I’ve tried short snoozes and longer ones and 30 minutes seems to be the maximum time you can snooze altogether.
- I have to remember to remove the app icon from the hidden dock at the bottom of the iPhone home screen every night before going to bed because if I don’t I occasionally don’t get woken up. Now that I know it’s not a huge issue though, it’s a bed time routine.
In general I really like it. The snooze factor is a bit of an issue but as a safety precaution I also set my phone alarm at a time I REALLY have to get up/have to have gotten up.
I think my main issue is that I sleep too few hours a night and no matter how great an alarm clock or wake-up light is it’s not going to add the extra hours I would really need. On weekends I get 8 hours, my alarm’s set at 8 am and I’m usually in bed by midnight the night before. 8 hours is perfect, any more and I get a headache. On weekdays my alarm’s set at 5 am and I try to be in bed by 11 pm. That’s only six hours. I know. I’m trying to go to bed earlier but it’s hard because if I start saying I’m going to bed there are still a million little things I need to do before I’m actually IN bed (changing the litter box, changing the cats’ water bowls, straightening out the pillows on the sofa, emptying the dish washer, taking something out of the dryer and folding it etc etc). I do have flexible work hours so technically I could start work as late as 9 am but I try to be at work at 7 or 7.30 latest. I prefer to come early, leave early and then there’s time for the blog, projects etc in the evening + spend time with Wille.
Seriously, there are not enough hours in a day!