I hadn’t planned to do the basement stairs this soon because I wasn’t really sure what to do with them until I got an e-mail from a reader who offered me to try a new product. I’m telling you, as soon as I saw it (more on IT in a later post) I knew it would be perfect for my stairs.
What I will do involves painting but before any paint can go on the poor condition of the treads needed to be addressed. I doubt these stairs have seen any elbow grease action since the house was built in 1954.
The treads had deep dings and dents in the wood, the risers were badly scuffed, there were paint stains (I might have contributed one or two of those) and the noses were really worn down and splintery.
Sanding action was needed so I blocked off my door-less bedroom adjacent to the stairs with this temporary zippered “door”. I’m telling you, this is such a great invention, it keeps all the dust in the work area and you just zip your way in and out. Found it at our local DIY store and I love it. After adding that link I realize mine’s up upside down but it worked well that way too!
Anyway, I sanded everything with coarse paper first to even off the noses and remove any splintery bits. Then I filled the dents and dings with wood filler (photo above) and sanded with a fine sand paper to smooth everything out after. So much better already and the worst (messiest and noisiest) part + clean up is done. It only took an afternoon to get this far. I’m often amazed how quick things get done as I usually over estimate the time it will take. Better that than the other way around I guess.
To be continued.