My poor lawn. And poor me. Last year I redid the back yard as you can see in this post.
The harsh and longer than usual winter (we didn’t really get any spring at all this year, it went straight from winter to summer) really took it’s toll on my lawn.
Quite a few weeks in I realized that I would have to basically start over on the lawn in the areas that I re-sodded last year, they were just not catching on like I had hoped.
The areas that needed the most attention were exactly those I re-sodded last year but I figured the whole lawn could do with some scarifying (LOVE that word!) so I called in the help of the guys that did my deck last year and helped me with the lawn and had them deliver top dressing soil and their scarifying tool.
After the lawn got its once over with the scarifyer (which cuts through the lawn vertically and divides thhe grass roots) I spread ut the sacks of top dressing evenly over the lawn.
Then I cut an opening at the ends of the sacks and dragged them along and afterwards used my broom to spread the top dressing out.
After that I added grass seeds to the worst off areas and kept it all moist over a couple of weeks time. Unfortunately we had NO rain during this time and I had to keep watering every night which felt pretty wasteful.
And here’s where we are at right now. There are still some very bare patches but after fertilizing with bone meal it’s all looking so much better. I think I will still add some more grass seeds in some of the bare areas and hope for a bit of rain occasionally for them to germinate but if you look at the lawn now from a frog’s perspective it’s actually not looking THAT bad.
Ps. Wille graduates today! Yay, I'm so excited for him!